X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

%#!/^#!! Moths !

This summer and fall we have had an epidemic of moths. You know, the scraggy little brownish ones that get into your dry goods, and--shudder--love to eat wollens.

Although I keep my kilts in suit bags with cedar blocks, I discovered to my horror that the little blighters had eaten a couple of small holes in one of my kilts. What to do?

I steamed every pleat thoroughly inside and out, steamed the inside seams of the suit bags, rubbed lavender oil into all the cedar blocks, placing one inside each kilt, between the hanger clips, and one at the bottom of the suit bag. I also put a few drops of lavender oil along the bottom of each suit bag.

Over the next week, I plan to vacuum every inch of my study....but will it be enough?

Questions for the rabble:

(1) What do you do to prevent moth damage?

(2) How can small holes be repaired?
    EPITAPH: Decades from now, no one will know what my bank balance looked like, it won't matter to anyone what kind of car I drove, nor will anyone care what sort of house I lived in. But the world will be a different place, because I did something so mind bafflingly eccentric that my ruins have become a tourist attraction.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon noir View Post

Questions for the rabble:

(1) What do you do to prevent moth damage?

(2) How can small holes be repaired?
    1. I keep the kilts I don't wear often sealed in large plastic bin bags.

2. Yes, they can simply be darned either with fine wool or cotton matched as closely as possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do moth balls or whatever are the modern equivalent smell as bad as they used to?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a few cedar wood balls in my cases which seem to do the trick.
    Martin.
    AKA - The Scouter in a Kilt.
    Proud, but homesick, son of Skye.
    Member of the Clan MacLeod Society (Scotland)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few days in the freezer will kill off eggs and larvae, just place in a plastic bag or paper sack and then store in something which is, hopefully, mothproof. I use those storage bags which can be closed and the air sucked out.

Keeping the kilts clean will make them less of a target, as will using masking odours like lavender and cedar.

Anne the Pleater :ootd:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, they are an absolute plague here too, especially during the winter drought.

We have a couple of Automatic insect sprays in the house that deals with most insects before they get to the closet and I keep my kilts in a sealed plastic suit cover with a cardboard insect killer hanging off the kilt hanger (they last about 3 months, I think they are basically pyrethrums, the smell you get from chrysanthemums. I can't recall the brand but they have a yellow flower on the front) and three of four cedar balls in the case too.
    Regards, Sav.

"The Sun Never Sets on X-Marks!"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Carrick View Post
    Do moth balls or whatever are the modern equivalent smell as bad as they used to?
    Absolutely….avoid at all costs. Just got done helping an older relative move ant he had mothballs in everything…had to air the car out for days after transporting his wardrobe.

And the health risks : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothball

As many of our members have already stated, scrupulous maintenance and natural deterrents will do you well without the odor and risk.

Best

AA
    ANOTHER KILTED LEBOWSKI AND...HEY, CAREFUL, MAN, THERE'S A BEVERAGE HERE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should add that I steam my kilts after I wear them, hang them up to dry for a short time, then put them in their bags. Looks like I'm doing much of what others do and just happened to get unlucky. I'm against the use of mothballs, but using pyrethrums is good science.

If anyone can find the brand--or maybe post a photo of the package--of cardboard insect killer strips, I'll "search it oot."

Thanks for the advice!
    EPITAPH: Decades from now, no one will know what my bank balance looked like, it won't matter to anyone what kind of car I drove, nor will anyone care what sort of house I lived in. But the world will be a different place, because I did something so mind bafflingly eccentric that my ruins have become a tourist attraction.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any good leads on good-quality garment bags, hopefully moth-proof?

I keep my kilts in a big plastic bin, with dozens of those evil-smelling mothballs.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously?! I am new to the wool game and I have no damage to any of my wool garments due to moth activity (except for a little on a very old John Maguire Donegal tweed flatcap).

This is all valuable information. Thank you.
    The Official [BREN]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast