X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Box Pleated USA Kilt?!?

Hey Guys,

Due to several customers asking about box pleated kilts, I am running a test. I made one for myself and didn't find it too much of a change from our 5 yarders, though ironing the pleating took a LOT longer. The result was a nice, well shaped kilt, which is much lighter than a traditional 8 yarder.

Here's the deal: We have exactly 2 yards of cloth in the Scott Red Modern tartan (16 oz cloth from MM) in stock. I want Mac to make one (I made the first one) and get his take on it to see if we'll be producing them as a regular offering going forward. If someone wants a box pleated kilt in this tartan AND IS UNDER 44" in the waist or hips, we're offering a ONE TIME deal of $250 for this kilt (including shipping and rush charges). If / When we do offer this style as a stock offering going forward, the price will likely be about $380 - $395.

The tartan in question:

This is a first come, first served deal (and we only have enough for 1). Order MUST be called into shop to count: 610.948.4110

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RockyR For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome!!!

Good to hear, Rocky!
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOTE: I am asking, so this in the interrogative. I am curious as to why a box pleated 5 yarder would be more expensive than a 5 yard knife pleat. Unless I am missing something 5 yard knife pleated kilts are $320 on your site and box pleats will be $380-395, which places them at a premium. I have generally found this to be the reverse. Your thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Many kiltmakers (especially in Scotland) do place a premium on box pleats. Typically, it's 50 GBP or so ($80 -ish). Box pleats take a good bit longer to iron than traditional knife pleats. Also, the pleats are sewn inside out, so it takes longer to produce as there's a bit of pinning involved. I don't typically feel the need to defend our pricing (we try to consistently offer what we feel is a fair price for a quality product), but since you may not be the only person wondering how we arrived at the price, I shed a little light on this one.
    Last edited by RockyR; 7th November 13 at 06:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Rocky! I'm glad to hear this!

Will it be made with 4 or five yards?

Thanks

Never mind, re reading your post I see you have 2 yards(obviously of double width) tartan. So it will be a 4 yard kilt.
    Last edited by Guinness>water; 7th November 13 at 06:58 AM. Reason: answered my own question.
    Somebody ought to.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Depends on the size of the individual. For the sample, it will have to be 4 yards.
    Last edited by RockyR; 7th November 13 at 07:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rocky, I'm glad to hear that you're exploring the option of offering box pleated kilts. A PV box pleat just might be the ultimate in comfort and convenience.
    ---
    "Integrity is telling myself the truth. Honesty is telling the truth to other people." - Spencer Johnson

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to rmccool For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We won't be doing them in PV... only in wool.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rmccool View Post
    Rocky, I'm glad to hear that you're exploring the option of offering box pleated kilts. A PV box pleat just might be the ultimate in comfort and convenience.
    Rocky, I'm not wanting to hijack your thread.

I have a pv box pleat that is my go to kilt in warm weather....Gabe Everson made it for me a couple of years ago as a"one-of". I had him edge stitch the box pleats. I wore it on a bus tour most days in central Mexico last year and didn't need to touch it up with an iron. This is the closest I have to a pleat shot.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a hell of a pleat shot Liam!

Rocky, glad to hear you're offering the box pleat kilt. I don't have one yet, but sometime in the near future. I don't want to twist your arm, but a PV box pleat would be dandy Although, I'm sure you have sound reasons as to why you're not going to offer a PV option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast