X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd add one thing to what Steve said. Ask the kiltmaker if they measure to the First (tightest), MIDDLE or Last hole on the strap. Since kilt straps typically have 5 holes that span 3", it's important to know which hole the kilt is SUPPOSED to fit in before ordering. Most kiltmakers will make the measurement given the MIDDLE hole on the strap to allow for 1.5" of Gain OR Loss. Other kiltmakers will make the measurements provided the TIGHTEST (first) hole on the strap to allow the wearer to gain up to 3" (but they won't be able to LOSE any weight).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great point, Rocky. How do you make yours? For me, the fit was perfect on the first hole.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very informative post, which I'm sure will help many out in the future.

At buyakilt.com we do class the drop from the waist measurement to the middle of the knee. As seen in the following link: https://buyakilt.com/info/measuring-guides It helps to keep things simpler in the kilt buying process.

We do get (and welcome) emails regarding such information when buying a kilt. It also helps our kilt making process to know exactly what the customer wants and expects. We'd hate for something to go wrong due to a misunderstanding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    A very informative post, which I'm sure will help many out in the future.

At buyakilt.com we do class the drop from the waist measurement to the middle of the knee. As seen in the following link: https://buyakilt.com/info/measuring-guides It helps to keep things simpler in the kilt buying process.

We do get (and welcome) emails regarding such information when buying a kilt. It also helps our kilt making process to know exactly what the customer wants and expects. We'd hate for something to go wrong due to a misunderstanding.
    There are some "funny" statements on your kilt measuring guide. Like standard kilts (what is a standard kilt?) should always be worn to the center of the knee (why? says who?) and military kilts to the top of the knee(again, why? says who?).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few more statements in the 'how to wear a kilt' page that some here might disagree with.

https://buyakilt.com/info/how-to-wear-a-kilt

Such as "Formal (ghillie?) brogues should be worn with formal outfits", "Belt and buckle: Worn through the kilt loops at the rear", belt shown worn with waistcoat, "Hose... worn to the bottom of the knee".

Sorry Rachel, I don't mean to pull your website apart, but one can see why the 'kilt hire look' gets perpetuated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are just meant as general guides to help first time kilt buyers get something that they're happy with and fits well. These are, in our experience, "standard" ways of wearing a kilt. By no means is this the only way of wearing a kilt. We often have the chat with the customer both before and during the kilt making process to make sure they get what they want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't feel like you're pulling the website apart It's surely a good thing to pick up on something you don't feel is correct?

These are just general guides to help people actually put the items on. Not everyone will wear a belt or buckle but we need to let people know if they're wearing one.

Just out of interest, how would you wear your kilt hose? I've always had people and seen them at the bottom of the knee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rachel,

Firstly, thanks for taking my comments as constructive criticism, and also please note that I am not any sort of voice of authority, nor do I always get it right myself! Having said that, here's my tuppence worth

Personally, I don't like ghillie brogues, and always wear ordinary brogues myself, though I would wear a pair of buckled brogues for more formal occasions if I owned a pair. I noticed after posting that you also sell buckled brogues, so it's a bit of a pity that you don't mention them in the 'how to'.

I have always believed that the belt (if worn) should be worn over the loops, with only the sporran strap passing through the loops. The loops are only there to keep the sporran in place, the belt doesn't need anything to do that, it will stay in place by itself. I also noticed after posting that you state elsewhere that the belt is generally not worn with a waistcoat. I'm guessing the photo is more for 'illustrative purposes', so fair enough.

As for the hose, I believe they should be worn with the tops "around the thickest part of the calves", which in practical terms means having a gap of about three fingers between the bottom of the kneecap and the top of the hose. Combine that with my preferred kilt height which is at the top of the kneecap, and I have about 12cm or 5" of leg exposed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the buckle brogues, good choice.

It's quite hard just to have one page to show everyone how to wear every option. We're actually in the process of creating an information centre, so you've given me ideas on features. Sites such as this (well in fact only this one) do help in educating people further, this post in particular I find very interesting.

We have the same debate in the office over the gap between the hose. The most anyone suggests it should be is 4 fingers below the knee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose it depends how fat your fingers are!

The range of what looks 'right', both in terms of kilt height and hose height, is surprisingly narrow. For me personally, it's top of kneecap to middle of kneecap for the kilt, and three +/- a half fingers for the hose.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12