X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of years back my church was holding its annual "Vacation Bible Camp" and the theme was "Children Praying Around the World." Not my favourite event, but not for conceptual reasons - more in the execution of the thing. It was both hot and humid, a real corker and I wore my tank with my shirt and clerical collar.

The leader of the one session completed her presentation on Israel and said, "And now Father Bill will explain why he's wearing a kilt."

She looked at me with that look of dull confidence that teachers often have (remember I'm a retired teacher & principal) and I replied "Because it's an awful lot cooler than either pants or shorts."

She looked totally lost and replied only "Oh."

Here endeth the lesson.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The leader of the one session completed her presentation on Israel and said, "And now Father Bill will explain why he's wearing a kilt."

She looked at me with that look of dull confidence that teachers often have (remember I'm a retired teacher & principal) and I replied "Because it's an awful lot cooler than either pants or shorts."

She looked totally lost and replied only "Oh."

Here endeth the lesson.

I always find this type of reaction strange coming from women who do wear skirts and should know that a skirted garment is way cooler than pants in summer....
    Last edited by jeanfor; 23rd November 13 at 10:48 AM.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jeanfor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanfor View Post
    I always find this type of reaction strange coming from women who do wear skirts and should know that a skirted garment is way cooler than pants in summer....
    Well, there's an entire generation of women who haven't worn skirts in years. There was a thread about this elsewhere on this forum. I think it was probably more a function of the fact that things didn't quite go the way she expected them in her nice little world.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Well, there's an entire generation of women who haven't worn skirts in years. There was a thread about this elsewhere on this forum. I think it was probably more a function of the fact that things didn't quite go the way she expected them in her nice little world.
    Very true.... When I go to daily Mass wearing a kilt, I am most of the time the only one wearing an unbifurcated garment. Most of the time women wear pants, jeans.... I always look more dressed up than most other people. This is one thing I like about kilts combined with a nice sweater, make you look dressed up. I will often wear my kilt with a white shirt and tie and a navy or black or beige sweater, depending on the tartan I am wearing. One thing one has to remember: if wearing a tartan, top has to be a uniformed color (no stripes or the like for the top).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "It was not the overall heat but around my waist due to the amount of material and the leather belt that caused a bit of discomfort."

My experience too. Now there's challenge for kilt makers. Make a normal kilt, but one with a cool section round the waist for the tropics.
    Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?—1 Corinthians 1:20

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123