X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another happy customer

Just wanted to post a quick review of a kilt I recently received from Bonnie. It's one of the best looking kilts I've owned and it's obvious that Bonnie put a lot of thought and work into it. She was particularly careful about the pleating - the sett was pretty big and she wanted to make sure it looked right. She tested a lot of approaches until we got it right, and I never felt like I was being rushed or pushed a certain way. I felt like she was more concerned about making me happy than the all the extra work I was having her do. The end result is great (sorry, no pics yet). I was very impressed with how communicative she was and how involved in the process she kept me. It was pretty clear that not only did Bonnie want to make a kilt, she wanted me to look my best in it. Nothing is better than a perfectly fitted, well assembled kilt.

I unreservedly endorse her work and have been recommending her to others. Really just an A+ experience. A big thanks to Bonnie for making something that I will cherish for decades. I've worn more than my fair share of kilts over the years, and I can say without a doubt that Bonnie Heather Greene is the real deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great to hear! I believe Bonnie is making the groom's kilt for my niece's upcoming wedding, not sure where it is in her queue.
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eager to see some pics when available. And pleased to see another satisfied customer for Bonnie, albeit with slightly mixed emotions, as that means one more person I have to share her kilt-smithing skills with. But one more kilt masterpiece wrapped around your body means that my next new one (Weathered Douglas) and my son's upsizing of his Dutch Friendship kilt are rising ever closer to the top of the stack. Congrats on the acquisition of an heirloom quality piece of wearable art. Come on out Bonnie, take a brief and well earned bow----then back to your sewing table, enough time wasted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with FM that it is wonderful to hear about another fantastic kilt made by Bonnie... I absolutely love my kilts from here and (again taking a cue from FM) will need to get my son's kilt upsized sooner than later.

Congratulations on your receiving your wonderfully made kilt...but do not forget to post the pictures!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I unreservedly endorse her work and have been recommending her to others. Really just an A+ experience. A big thanks to Bonnie for making something that I will cherish for decades. I've worn more than my fair share of kilts over the years, and I can say without a doubt that Bonnie Heather Greene is the real deal.

Amen!! I had the same type of positive experience with Bonnie. She's the best!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye on pics!! Came here looking for them. My kiltmaker speaks very highly of Bonnie and that is a sincere compliment.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know what they say -
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is heartwarming to know that in this uber-fast disposable commercial world that we live in there are still some artisans who take the time and trouble to go the extra mile and produce craftsman or craftwomanship of the utmost quality and service. Another glowing review, well done Bonnie.

Oh yes and pics please so we can drool.
    Friends stay in touch on FB simon Taylor-dando
    Best regards
    Simon

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Grizzly For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please, please, we need pics soon!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for the kind words.

Here are some photos..

The tartan is Gordon Red Weathered in Strome. The sett is very wide... more than 14 inches and that caused some frustration. First I tried pleating to the sett. With 8 yards of tartan, I could only get about 11 or 12 pleats, each pleat 2" wide with a pleat depth of more than 7 inches.

Before that I had tried pleating to the half sett, but the result looked very random and chaotic. I didn't take a picture of that because I knew I didn't want that look.

Next I tried pleating to the light brown stripe, or should I say "block"? That was looking better, plus I could get two "blocks" per set with a pleat width of about 7/8".

Checking with the gentleman, I tried pleating to the blue-ish gray block. That was what we decided on.

I wanted to do the narrow white line on the leading edge of each pleat, but was afraid that line could get lost.
    So here is how I pleated the kilt...

Here's a close-up..

And here's the apron....

(Hmmm... for some reason, I can't copy the link from Photobucket, so I'll try again .)
    Bonnie Heather Greene, Kiltmaker and Artist
    Traditional hand stitched kilts, kilt alterations, kilt-skirts

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to bonnie heather For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast