X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Antipodean Celt is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scotweb Irish Kilt Outfit

Hi all,

For the benefit of others, I just wanted to post a pic of what my 'Irish Kilt Outfit' from Scotweb looked like straight out of the box.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scotweb photo1 (2).jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	15558

I had to be patient; it was 6 months from order to delivery.

Overall I am pleased. The tartan fabric is beautiful, the kilt is well made (to my novice eyes at least) and fits well, the shoes are fine quality, the various clan accoutrements are nice to have and were affordable in the context of a package deal.

I am not sure what the custom is for shipping kilts, but the pleats were not basted and a couple of pleats were crushed. Otherwise the packaging was excellent and everything arrived in sound condition.

Not so good is the kilkenny jacket (which is a fine jacket) is very slim fitting. I don't have the narrow waist I had when I was 20, but I don't have any troubles buying suit jackets off the rack. The jacket is a perfect fit across the shoulders, but I have no hope of doing the buttons up. The waistcoat (or vest, depending on where you went to school) is a complete non-starter; it is a nice fit for my slim 13 yo son.

I have no complaints customer service wise. Scotweb were happy to offer me a discounted made-to-measure solution, but being a million miles away and with the time elapsed already, I will find another solution for the jacket and vest closer to home.

As I said, overall I am pleased. I got what I was looking for, which was a kilt with all the trimmings at a reasonable package price. I now have the foundation of a highland wardrobe upon which I can build over time.
    "No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into gaol; for being in a ship is being in a gaol; with the chance of being drowned." Boswell: Life

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish you good luck with your outfit. Wear your kilt as much as you can. It's a great experience.
    With your back against the sea, the enemy can come only from three sides.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kilt jackets are not usually designed to be buttoned up but to be worn open. I don't know why - it is just one of those things. Vests on the other hand definitely should!

Antipodean Celt is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    Kilt jackets are not usually designed to be buttoned up but to be worn open. I don't know why - it is just one of those things. Vests on the other hand definitely should!
    Thanks Lime. I rarely wear a jacket buttoned up anyway, kilt jacket or saxon, but I do appreciate your guidance. Even if worn open, I think the jacket should look like it could button comfortably, and this one is borderline in that department. But I think I shall wear it open as you suggest until a better solution comes along. Fortunately it is summer in the great south land at the moment and definitely not vest wearing weather, so I have a bit of time to source a vest solution as well.
    "No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into gaol; for being in a ship is being in a gaol; with the chance of being drowned." Boswell: Life

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice setup. Too bad about the fit of the jacket. If it helps, most Highland jackets aren't buttoned anyway. It looks good. Enjoy!

What tartan is that???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by denmcdough View Post
    What tartan is that???
    Thankyou Sir. The tartan is Ulster Red. Arguably the only 'authentic' Irish tartan. I say that without wanting to diminish the many Irish tartans that are available. I have a casual kilt in Ireland's National that I wear almost all the time lately.