X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

R.G. Lawrie Dirk and Scottish Sgian-Dubh

I have come to love silver mounts on Scottish blades. The other knife of my father’s I was given. Has silver mounts and everything can be tracked down to who and when and where it was made. I come to find out through the makers mark and hall marks it’s easy to find information on it. This Scottish Sgian-Dubh Was Made by the last of the old school smiths in Edinburgh Robert Allison and Son dating from the early to mid 1970’s. Hall marked Silver mounts with a stainless steel blade. I think it’s a Cairngorm Stone on the butt.

However when its not silver I can't find a date as to when its made Anybody??
    I know its made by R.G. Lawrie in Glasgow and Edinburgh. Very ornate white metal mounts complete with companion fork and knife, small nick in leather sheath. But this is about all I know of it and I have no idea on value of either. Wise words my Father taught me was a thing is worth just as much someone is willing to put into your hand, so with that in mind anybody know any history on this? Thanks for any help.. Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    013tusmall - Copy.jpgI should have put this picture with the others showing the maker and hall marks on the Sgian-Dubh