X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nile View Post
    What may be "implied" for one may not be for another. I always wear my utility kilt with hose & flashes and sporran. And... I've worn it a few times with my tweed kilt jacket but, still, it's a casual and not a dressy look; maybe more of a "day wear" look. Also, I most often wear jeans to work with a button down shirt (no tie) and one of my Harris Tweed jackets but, I wouldn't call that 'dressed up'. You might call it more of the 'Professor' look (and in my case perhaps, the absent minded professor).

Before I got my BHG wool 8/16 kilt, I was constantly trying to push the limit with my utility kilts but, really, the best I could achieve was a sort of 'day wear' look. I wore that set up to a Burns dinner one time but, that was pushing it and it raised a lot of eyebrows (and, indeed, I probably looked silly).

Nile
    I will have to say that your "casual" dress is alot more "dressed up" than mine, or most of the people I know for that matter....heheheh My casual doesn't involve a sport coat, "fancy socks" (that's what my daughters call the kilt hose), or flashes. You'd probably hate my casual as it usually involved t-shirts, plain white socks, and boots. That being said, I would probably dress "better" in a Tartan kilt than I would my utility kilts. Utility kilts, to me, are the "jeans" of the kilt world.

The main reason why I don't wear a sporran with the utility kilts is because they have pockets. To me, and I could be completely off base here, a sporran is more or less a replacement for pockets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I wouldn't hate your casual look, Kalok; you ought to see me sometimes. I do occasionally wear one of my utility kilts when working around the yard; sleeveless shirt, no sporran, work boots, scrunched socks and a sheathed knife hanging from my belt but, no sgian dubh. I sailed once in a utility kilt, T-shirt and boat shoes (no hose), wearing a sporran and I can tell you, wearing a sporran is just not a good idea in that situation.

Since I started wearing kilts, I've had fun wearing them in different venues and I've experimented with a variety of options, many of which didn't look very good, some of which worked OK or even great but, all of which were comfortable because, hey, they're kilts.

I know what you are saying about the pockets in utility kilts but, that's one of the things that I'm not crazy about in kilts. I have an AmeriKilt that only has one pocket and a wider apron than the typical utility kilt so, it lends itself to kinda' half sorta' dress up a bit but, of course, it would never be accepted for TCHD.

As you pointed out, when wearing my 8/16 wool tartan kilt, I adhere more strictly to the conventions of Highland dress. But... I still occasionally, Americanize it a bit by wearing a golf shirt or turtle neck and the boots (OH the horror).

I take my interest in wearing kilts seriously, but not so much so that I can't have fun with them and adapting them to our American way of doing things. Though lately. I've been taking some cues from, Duncan, a character on that most delightful of shows, The Monarch of the Glen.

Nile
    Last edited by Nile; 2nd January 14 at 11:26 AM.
    Simon Fraser fought as MacShimidh, a Highland chief… wrapped and belted in a plaid over the top of his linen shirt, like his ordinary kinsmen. He put a bonnet on his head, and stuck the Fraser emblem, a sprig of yew, in it. With the battle cry, A'Chaisteal Dhunaidh and the scream of the pipes, they charged to battle. "The Last Highlander" Sara Fraser

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOfficialBren View Post
    Accidental "Aye." Sorry Joek. Typing on my phone.

I honestly can't remember the very first occasion that I was kilted in public. I can recall one early occasion (some time before I joined Xmarksthescot.com) that sticks out, however. It sticks out because it was odd (to me; you had to be there maybe...).

I had an on - air interview on an FM rock station in Hollyweird to promote some new music and play some acoustic versions of older songs.

I had not planned to wear my kilt but I had a last - minute attack from the sciatica monster (years and years of intense heavy-hitting metal drumming before embarking on the songwriting venture).

Furioso maximoso!!

Being a consummate professional (read: foolishly obsessive workaholic) I was absolutely determined to make it on time and without rescheduling (stubborn and bullheaded). I was struggling with even getting shorts on me so trousers were certainly not an option.
    I threw on a casual kilt (Velcro is a lifesaver) that I had at the time.

The Jock was surprised but went with it. He didn't seem overly thrilled by my wardrobe choice but was professional about it. When I told him about the sciatica he damn near apologised (in Hollywood apologies are rarer than Darth Vader riding a unicycle while piping) for whatever reason he felt that he needed.

Another time I played a gig kilted at Molly Malone's. The gig went great. Not a single mention of my kilt (odd since it's Celtic themed). That's generally how I prefer it, though. No comments. YMMV.
    "First...my humble apologies....second...I just had to do it!!...and no i am not the one in the vid....just kinda found this, LOL (Response to your Darth Vader remark) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnVjkE87FDY

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup. That's weird. ...and rare.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Yup. That's weird. ...and rare.
    I guess Father Bill, but from what I understand, Not for Portland OR.....

Hawk
    Shawnee / Anishinabe and Clan Colquhoun

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, that wouldn't be considered particularly odd in Portland at all.
    Cheers!
    Bob

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011