X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for some valuable clues.

I was able to locate photographs of both head stones, and of course a vast amount of information to keep me reading all winter! Some of the links I had stumbled over earlier, but at the time I didn't know what I was looking at and had insufficient information to use those sites.

More weighty stuff to ponder.....
    EPITAPH: Decades from now, no one will know what my bank balance looked like, it won't matter to anyone what kind of car I drove, nor will anyone care what sort of house I lived in. But the world will be a different place, because I did something so mind bafflingly eccentric that my ruins have become a tourist attraction.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other thought on Capt. Aubrey Finch. Many of the injuries suffered in World War I were lingering and fatal long after the conflict ended—lung damage from gas warfare is a prime example. It finally claimed many its victims years later.
    " Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West -

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So great that there's a published history of that battalion. Those are always treasure-troves of information which can't be found elsewhere, usually written shortly after the war when memories were fresh. I have the book of my Father-in-law's division from WWII, chock-full of photos, including two or three of him.

My Grandfather was severely wounded in action in 1918 (shot clean through the head by a German sniper) and was in a French hospital for a year. Listed as MIA, and the war over a year, everyone assumed him killed... until one day in 1919 he came walking up the holler, in full uniform, with one glass eye and numerous scars but otherwise fine. (Sergeant McKinley H Cook, Silver Star, two Purple Hearts. His eldest son Sergeant McKinley H Cook Jr was not as fortunate, KIA Germany 1945.)

A quick Google shows this photo of members of the 4th Seaforths in 1919

Last edited by OC Richard; 18th December 13 at 05:42 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These two snaps show a military Mackenzie Seaforth tartan kilt, pleated to the line, as is usual for this very large sett, to fit a rather slim 32" waist (should have taken them after it was re-pressed!). It has the green military binding along the top edge. I doubt this one was used as battledress, it's extremely heavy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0266a.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	15917Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0269a.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	15918
    Regards, Sav.

"The Sun Never Sets on X-Marks!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My grate Uncle James Alexander Smillie was also in the Seaforth Highlanders he was killed in 1916 in the Somme with help from the local history club and friends I have researched his history and have a copy of the war diary of his regiment which follows his moves in the war . I have visited his grave in France three times and always have a Mac Kenzie kilt on when I go to visit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robert_law View Post
    My grate Uncle James Alexander Smillie was also in the Seaforth Highlanders he was killed in 1916 in the Somme with help from the local history club and friends I have researched his history and have a copy of the war diary of his regiment which follows his moves in the war . I have visited his grave in France three times and always have a Mac Kenzie kilt on when I go to visit
    Here, Here and Guid on ya.
    My "Great Uncle" Alexander Robertson, R.A.M.C., KIA 21 August, 1916 during the "Soame" - Delville Wood or Pozieres. I've not been to France.
    Peace to you and you're a stout nephew. Well done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MNlad View Post
    One other thought on Capt. Aubrey Finch. Many of the injuries suffered in World War I were lingering and fatal long after the conflict ended—lung damage from gas warfare is a prime example. It finally claimed many its victims years later.
    "My Grandfather on my mother's side was Alexander Hunter Aitken. He was married to Christina Jane Kerr on July 2, 1909, and by the age of 20 he had joined the British Army at the start of the First World War, served first with the Cameron Highlanders, and the Argyll and Sutherland highlanders, was wounded, gassed and sent home to die, which he eventually did, on July 13, 1930 after care in a nursing home in Edinburgh and the Western Infirmary, Glasgow."—My Two Lives, by the author (published by Alexander Hunter, 2013 420 pages). (I realise this is not a market place, but if you are interested I can subsequently post a link. ) I can also post a picture of him in his apronned kilt, standing behind his wife, my grandmother, before going off to war.
    Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?—1 Corinthians 1:20

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12