X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like rabbits & tasty - I dunno there . I've been using this name for a few things , like my Instagram name & Xbox & a few other things .
    My avatar is my first kilting pic . I may change it to something more rabbit like though ...
    veritas aequitas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My screen name is what a lot of people nicknamed me in the Navy - Sturdy short for Sturdevant, and my avatar is my Williams of Wales tartan, I too change my avatar, tried a picture but the picture was sideways - guess I should have left it there - kind of fits my personality at times. My signature has changed slightly over the years, but basically it's "You can tell the true nature of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.", attributed to Malcolm Forbes but you see it's slightly different from what the original quote was.
    Last edited by Sturdy; 25th December 13 at 08:04 AM.
    This is the final test of a gentleman; his respect for those who can be of no possible service to him.
    <cite>-- William Lyon Phelps</cite>

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xmarks was my first venture into the risky(?!) world of internet forums---I have ventured into joining another forum since, but I no longer visit there these days---- and was unsure of the security implications, so I chose "Jock Scot" as a pen name. Why "Jock Scot"? Simple! It was the name of the fishing fly that I caught my first Atlantic salmon with at the age of 10. My avatar, shows a Jock Scot fly. My signatures? The first one is one that is so profoundly obvious, but the obvious is so often forgoten! The second? Is a reminder to all, including me, that we can take most of life rather more seriously then perhaps, we need to.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Late to the party on this one...

Mine is quite simple, really. I have a kilt made from a custom weave of the Michigan State University Tartan. As far as I know, it's the only one made. In fact, I had to get permission from the University President to have the weave done. Anyway, my friends always refer to my kilt as my "Spartan Tartan" since our mascot is a Spartan.

My avatar is the "Spartan Tartan".

I am afraid thinking of what to put in a signature line is just not something I have ever done...so I don't.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Spartan Tartan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Back when I joined the forum (many years ago), I had to quickly come up with a user name. Since I am an IT person, who still codes programs, I came up with KiltedCodeWarrior. And it can have two meanings, either a kilted programmer (code warrior), or a warrior for the kilted code, or right and freedom to go about kilted. Avatar is simply a nice celtic cross I found and is a symbol of my faith. My signature is from one of my favorite characters from one of my favorite authors. An interesting note, Steve Ashton (The Wizard of BC) actually met that author in person, none other than Robert A. Heinlein!
    The kilt concealed a blaster strapped to his thigh. Lazarus Long

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to KiltedCodeWarrior For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in cable Wisconsin.

My signature changes from time to time but is always something I find funny.

My avatar is a pic of me at a Starbucks in Minneapolis on Saint Patrick's day Weekend a few years ago.
    KILTED LABOWSKI

"I imagine a place of brotherhood and peace, a world without war. Then I imagine attacking that place because they would never expect it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kilted Rennie is a reference to wearing a kilt to the local renaissance fair as part of my playtron costume. Haven't bothered with a signature yet. My avatar is one my daughter, the graphic artist, created for me a while ago representing my Star Trek fandom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me AFS1970 is my initials and my birth year. I use this on several other forums and sites.

For a long time I was using another that was related to some former volunteer work I did. When I stopped that activity I had to change on a couple of forums and this was the first thing I came up with. From there it just seemed natural to keep it as I registered for different forums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My name....I know, earth shattering

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like others here have mentioned, I was caught a bit off-guard by the sudden need for a name (shouldn't have been, but was) and for some reason I put where I live (Orange County) in front of my name.

Had I known at the time how many Orange Counties there were around the country I would have done something else!

I change my Avatar from time to time, this is the most recent kilt photo I have, with by beloved c1900 pipes.

The signature is from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The White Company:

"By Saint Paul!" cried Sir Nigel, with his one eye glowing like an ember. "These appear to be two very worthy gentlemen. We have our horses, Sir William; shall we not relieve them of any vow which they may have upon their souls?"

Sir William's reply was to bound upon his charger and to urge it down the slope, while Sir Nigel followed not three spears'-lengths behind. The gallant Spaniards flew swiftly to meet them. Sir William found himself opposed to a tall stripling with a stag's head upon his shield, while Sir Nigel's man was broad and squat, with plain steel harness, and a pink and white torse bound round his helmet. The first struck Sir William on the target with such force as to split it from side to side, but William's lance crashed through the camail which shielded the Spaniard's throat, and he fell screaming to the ground. Carried away by the heat and madness of fight, the English knight never drew reign, but charged straight on into the array of the knights of Calatrava.

Long time the silent English ranks upon the hill could see a swirl and eddy deep down in the heart of the Spanish column, with a circle of rearing chargers and flashing blades. Here and there tossed the white plume of the English helmet, rising and falling like the foam upon a wave, with the fierce gleam and sparkle ever circling round it, until at last it had sunk from view, and another brave man had turned from war, to peace.

When asked, Doyle would name The White Company as his favourite work. It, and its prequel Sir Nigel, are full of gorgeous poetic passages, quite different from the workmanlike prose of the Holmes stories.

The opening passage of Sir Nigel, describing the coming of The Black Death to England, and the closing passage, are among the most beautiful English I have come across.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 29th January 14 at 08:50 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast