X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's wrong about this?

I came accross this picture on the web of a guy who I thought looked quite good

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	draft_lens21015794module167475864photo_1367406863a_.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	15943

OK, he's wearing an evening sporran with day wear, but I wondered since there are so many critical kilt wearers here, if they would criticize any other aspect? (And I don't think the sporran matters. Knitted garters would have been a tad more stylish than the flashes.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't recognize the tartan, but it looks like the current fashion for pipebands without the pipes, glengarry and the jacket on over the vest for travel. They typically wear a bit dressier sporrans.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to pbutts For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kilt worn too low and jacket looks like its buttoned.

Ok, what we don't know is that the fellow has been marching with the band for a couple of hours and as kilts do, it may have moved south more than a tad and who knows, a force 8 gale is blowing, so doing up the jacket button seems a reasonable idea. I think care needs to be used before being too harsh with criticisms, even when opinions are asked for.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 19th December 13 at 10:58 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 11 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the sporran is out of place at all. That is a pretty dressy daywear outfit. Day wear does not always mean casual. This is a good business wear outfit..

As far as the outfit as a whole I would have chosen blue flashes to better pull out the blue of the shirt. But that is just me. The red flashes are fine.
    Perhaps the tie is a little too much. It looks like it is going for the matchy-matchy look. It looks like he was sold the tie to match the Tartan. Good salesmanship on behalf of the clerk though.

The one thing I would change is the sporran strap. That one is a little out of keeping with the rest of the outfit. A simple chain or even a black leather strap would look just as good.

The pic does not show the shoes. But if he has Ghillies on I would be screaming. A nice pair of black wingtips or oxfords would be best with this.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think he looks fantastic and spot-on. I don't see a kilt pin, but if I had a dime for all the times I've forgotten mine, I'd have quite a pile. Regarding the sporran, as Esquire magazine once observed, don't start breaking the rules until you've actually mastered them. I often wear a full dress sporran during the day, as I am even as I write this--in grizzled-light brown rabbit fur--along with (the horror!) a chocolate brown cotton twill casual "utility" kilt, taupe-colored rib-knit wool turtleneck pullover, taupe-colored wool wool cable-knit hose, and a medium-olive green and taupe herringbone wool tweed kilt jacket. Sprezzatura as the Italians call it. Perhaps there's a Gaelic word for it also.....
    Best Regards,
    DyerStraits

"I Wish Not To Intimidate, And Know Not How To Fear"

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ....Also, his jacket actually is buttoned. It has chain-link buttons, similar to certain types of cuff-links. Very smart. And I don't think his kilt is hanging too low--it's right at his knee-caps.
    Best Regards,
    DyerStraits

"I Wish Not To Intimidate, And Know Not How To Fear"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I give the outfit a 98%. I dock it 1% for the white fur (which personally I don't care for, though it does bring out the white over stripes), and another 1% for the kilt appearing a bit low. Jock probably pegged the reason for that, so maybe my score should be 99%.

They could have gotten a bit more handsome model, like me for example, but I don't fault the outfit for that.
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Kilt worn too low and jacket looks like its buttoned.

Ok, what we don't know is that the fellow has been marching with the band for a couple of hours and as kilts do, it may have moved south more than a tad and who knows, a force 8 gale is blowing, so doing up the jacket button seems a reasonable idea. I think care needs to be used before being too harsh with criticisms, even when opinions are asked for.
    All out of "ayes," so a big plus one here. Though, the jacket does have one of those chain-link "thingys," of which I've never particularly cared for. They just look a bit odd to me. Other than that, I think the chap looks quite dashing.
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 19th December 13 at 12:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pbutts View Post
    I don't recognize the tartan, but it looks like the current fashion for pipebands without the pipes, glengarry and the jacket on over the vest for travel. They typically wear a bit dressier sporrans.
    Agreed.

Does the original source give an indication of when/where this was taken?
    Last edited by Tim Little; 19th December 13 at 12:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was on this web site

http://www.squidoo.com/kilts-etc

where it is called "formal". For the serious kiltie it's not formal but it seems to me to be more smart than casual.

I thought it looked pretty good.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to JonathanB For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast