X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MacGregor Reproduction on D C Dalgleish's website

I was browsing through D C Dalgleish’s page of stock tartans on their website
    http://www.dcdalgliesh.co.uk/stock.html

There are two colectioins, named Popular Heavyweight (with pictures of 15 oz tartans) and Reproduction Tartans (with pictures of 11 oz tartans).

As you’d expect a number of reproduction (Dalgleish’s word for weathered) clan tartans appear on both pages and look the same: Grant, Kerr, McPherson and Robertson for example.

But something odd seems to have happened to the MacGregor Reproduction.

Here it is at 11 oz http://www.dcdalgliesh.co.uk/tartan_found.rpy?id=107466

And here it is at 15 oz http://www.dcdalgliesh.co.uk/tartan_found.rpy?id=263853

I don’t understand the technicalities of tartan design, the colouring seems to me clearly different (15 oz is much lighter and has black where the 11 oz has grey).

What’s going on here? Or am I just a sassenach with bad eyesight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you scroll down on both of those pages, on the bottom left you'll see photos and a list, of the thread colors they have on file, for that tartan. Both pages list the same color shades. They both show the lighter "brown40", and state that the thread colors shown, have been manually verified. I suspect one of the tartan swatch photos (the darker 11 oz photo) is simply a wrong photo.
    KEN CORMACK
    Clan Buchanan
    U.S. Coast Guard, Retired
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to unixken For This Useful Post:

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The colors are the same on both, as I can attest from working with both cloths in person. I'll also add that, to my eyes and on my monitor, the colors in both the photos look the same, as well. Obviously two different photos taken from different angles. But the colors in the tartans look the same from my end.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look pretty much the same on my monitor too.

Though sometimes the same tartan does look different in different weights. One we've dealt with in the band is muted Drummond of Perth from House of Edgar. Some of the kilts are 13oz, some 16oz, and a number of the colours are slightly different, including the shade of the background red.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Displaced 3rd generation Californian now residing in the "old" State of Jefferson, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed that as well. I put it down to human error. I wear the MacGregor of Cardney tartan, and their photo of the that tartan is incorrect. It appears to be the standard MacGregor. If you go to the tartan designer and bring up the MacGregor of Cardney, the small illustration is of the standard MacGregor. When it is expanded, the colors are correct for the MacGregor of Cardney (though the thread count is that of the standard MacGregor.)

Considering the number of tartans that had to be uploaded, I can understand there being some errors in the initial uploading. I can only presume the task of double checking the work is an ongoing process.

While there may be a few errors in their website, there is no doubt their weaving is superb and their tartans are beautiful. I will be having my next tartan woven by them.
    [I][B]Nearly all men can stand adversity. If you really want to test a man’s character,
    Give him power.[/B][/I] - [I]Abraham Lincoln[/I]