X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get me wrong...I really, really like my Holyrood P/V (MM) kilt but heavyweight wool will spoil a guy! Also, a tartan to which one has a familial connection cannot be beaten.

Maybe my Holyrood will become my stunt kilt. Lol.

I love the Clanranald sett, Nathan. Very sharp. Also, xman's work is outstanding.
    The Official [BREN]

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to TheOfficialBren For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye Bren , the P/Vs are certainly nice and have a place but it's hard to beat the heavier weight wool kilt . The overall wear , the hang , the swish , etc. can't be beat ... at least in my book .

I own both PVs and 16 oz wool tanks and the heavyweights became my go to kilts early on and still to this day . ( been kilted since 1972 and no I didn't have a tie-dyed kilt back then , but they probably existed ! )

Cheers , Mike
    Last edited by MacGumerait; 29th December 13 at 01:39 AM.
    Mike Montgomery
    Clan Montgomery Society , International

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacGumerait For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With all the storms we have been having recently a heavy kilt is essential. Having lost weight recently I have been wearing a kilt liner underneath, and a cape over the top whenever I have ventured out, once with a long plaid as well - that was the night our roof tiles came off.

With the weather becoming wilder, colder, hotter, wetter and just plain uncertain with added tornadoes, is seems that a wider range of kilt weights and accessories will become essential in the next decade.

Anne the Pleater :ootd:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I smile at your mention of the cape, Anne.

For the sort of weather we've had recently, I normally wear my sheepskin winter overcoat (although it won't button at the bottom over the sporran) or in the rain, my Inverness cape, but there are times when the best winter garb over the kilt is my priest's funeral cape - heavy moulton wool, ankle length, brown with beautiful frogs to hold it shut, and arm holes actually designed to hold the missal in front of me as I stand graveside.

Probably hardly traditional... but functional and attractive. My lodge brethren have referred to it at times as my "Harry Potter cape."

No photos available, but 'nuff said perhaps.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    I usually wear my 16oz strome MacDonald of Clanranald modern kilt that was handsewn by my brother xman. Sometimes, I reach for my very heavy (20oz??) military box pleated large dark set Clan Donald Modern tartan kilt just for a change.

I'm actually waiting for another kilt I purchased online to arrive. It's a 13oz MacDonald of Clanranald modern from another mill. It was a frivolous purchase since it will likely look pretty indistinguishable from my other kilt but the price was really great so I had to grab it. It will be my first 13oz kilt and I wonder if I'll notice a difference.

I always wear my clan tartan and have never felt the urge to wear a generic. The only other tartan I'd like to have eventually would be a Cape Breton tartan. This is mostly just because it would be a great way to meet other Cape Bretoners at events. They'd all instantly recognize the tartan and many would come say hello. Also, it's a completely different colour scheme than my MacDonald tartans so it would be a nice change. A Nova Scotia tartan kilt would be welcome if I came across a screaming deal on one for similar reasons, but I wouldn't have one specially made. Although also Nova Scotian, Cape Bretoners are Cape Bretoners first.
    Nathan... I have Saskatchewan and Maple Leaf tartan kilts for similar reasons.

Cheers...Bill
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As my kilt collection has grown, I wear my PV generic tartan kilts less and less, and then only to the pub, or to the movie theater. I don't need someone spilling anything on my expensive wool, or myself dropping buttery popcorn in my lap. I very much favor my wool kilts for all other occasions or events. Between the main and hunting variants of my clan's tartan, the various color palettes available for each, a district tartan, and a tartan of my own design, I have a nice variety in my collection to choose from. All but one of my wool kilts are either 15 or 16 ounce weaves. I do have one 5yd lightweight (11oz) that I bought on a whim, but find it too light for all but the hottest of days.

Back to the generic PVs, I have a Scottish National, a Freedom of Scotland, and the ubiquitous Black Watch. I also have an all black/no tartan PV kilt that I have yet to actually wear anywhere. These generics were great, to get me started, and serve well as a stunt double in the aforementioned theater and bar venues. But as soon as I started adding tartans relevant to my family, the generics really took a back seat.
    KEN CORMACK
    Clan Buchanan
    U.S. Coast Guard, Retired
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I have moved in an opposite direction. The more Time goes by the more I find that I look at my kilts for their beauty and less and less for the meanings behind the bright colors. I have my favorites to be sure, but my mood and and what I want to reflect has more hold on me than a specific tartan's meaning. I also have found that I am less and less picky about which is PV, which machine sewn, and which is handmade. I like them all and feel grand whichever I am wearing be it the camp X Kilt I have from Alan H. or Barb T.'s beautiful Heatherfield kilt.

Maybe it isn't the kilts, maybe it's just that I am truly comfortable now in my own skin as of late.

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Panache For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    I guess I have moved in an opposite direction. The more Time goes by the more I find that I look at my kilts for their beauty and less and less for the meanings behind the bright colors. I have my favorites to be sure, but my mood and and what I want to reflect has more hold on me than a specific tartan's meaning. I also have found that I am less and less picky about which is PV, which machine sewn, and which is handmade. I like them all and feel grand whichever I am wearing be it the camp X Kilt I have from Alan H. or Barb T.'s beautiful Heatherfield kilt.

Maybe it isn't the kilts, maybe it's just that I am truly comfortable now in my own skin as of late.

Cheers

Jamie
    Well said Jamie....

I feel much the same. I also tend to wear my PV's when there is a higher likelihood of getting it spilled on or dirty (the pub or on a hike). I also choose the weight based on the temperature. Lately my 22 oz. military box pleat has seen a fair bit of action.

Cheers...Bill
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's how I've always been, Bren!

Last edited by creagdhubh; 30th December 13 at 11:09 AM.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to creagdhubh For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12