X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conyers Burns Supper 25 January, 2014

Well, folks, now that Christmas is over, I think we better start getting serious about out 8th annual Burns Supper at the Celtic Tavern. It will be on the 25th, and we'll start foolishness--drinking, lying, laughing, drinking, comparing outfits, and watching the lasses (or laddies if you're a lassy)--about 5:30 with dinner at 6:30 or so.

Standard fare and program, of course, and just now the parts are wide open. I'll lead the cattle reiving expedition afterward.

Please let me hear from you so I can begin a head count and program participation. Any favorite poems are always in order, but we will certainly need a Toast to the Lassies, a Response to the Toast, an Address, etc. Even the Selkirk Grace is open at this point.

The only definite is the piper--Rusty is on, and there are no better pipers around.

Let me hear from you.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to thescot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Scot , my wife and I will be there -thrid times a charm , is all info the same as last year ?
    thank you , see you then
    Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, My wife and I will be there too! Let me know the pricing
    LOCH SLOY!
    Cheers, Wil

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gentlemen: yes, all will be similar to last year, although each year harbors a little something different.

Price for dinner is $20. You're on your own for the bar tab. Dress can be as you wish; some come fairly casual, others dress to the nines. I will likely be in a tweed jacket and tie, kind of a dressy casual. Try to arrive by 6:00 so you can participate in the jabber (and passing around of the flasks of favorite single malts if you are so inclined).

The place is a very family-friendly pub, so you can bring your kids is you like, just let me know the count.

Also, feel free to bring along your favorite Burns poem to read or recite if you want. And if you'd like to participate in the program, let me know. The Immortal Memory is already taken, but the other parts are wide open.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up The MacGregors are Coming...

Put me down for TWA reservations... the MacGregors are coming (so mind your purses and livestock)! :-P

Point of clarification: we will pay the Tavern for all expenses regarding the dinner (ie the $20), correct?

Thanks,
    Wesley
    Last edited by Deil the Yin; 13th January 14 at 04:59 PM. Reason: add a funny...
    Here's tae us, Whas like us... Deil the Yin!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the money goes to the Tavern, not to me. I have no stake in the game other than organizing it.

But I do accept tips!

Would your companion be interested in delivering the Lassies Response by any chance. (I assume the other of the twa is a lady!)

Look forward to seeing you, Wesley.
    Jim Killman

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bumping this to the top:

Here are all the details:
    1. Dress is casual (not all of our attenders even own black tie attire), but I do encourage appropriate dress. A tie and sweater at a minimum is appreciated.

2. Dinner is $20. If you bring children, they can order off the menu for a cheaper dinner. The cost includes full dinner (haggis, neeps and tatties, tea or water, etc. + one shot of scotch to toast the haggis). If you want to order from the bar, it's on your own tab.

3. The Supper is at 6:00 PM on Jan. 25, but many of us will gather as early as 4:00 (or even earlier) to drink, compare kilts, etc., and lie.

4. We will need a reservation in advance as seating is limited. We'll need a definite head count for sure.

5. The location is the Celtic Tavern, where we've have all 7 previous annual suppers. We've gone from 6 or 7 the first years to over 30 now days. go to http://conyersceltictavern.com/ for details on the Tavern itself.

6. Anyone coming from out of town can stay at the Jameson or LaQuinta Inn. I think both are satisfactory and close to the Tavern. If you want a cab, it would be a minimal charge.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

And, BTW, I do not get any compensation or kick-back for this stuff. I just love the Supper and seeing my friends. If weather permits, we'll all be hanging out in front, listening to the pipes, and telling great tales of daring do.
    Jim Killman

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to thescot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Bump...

Man! I was just perusing the Celtic Tavern's menu, and I might have to drop by for lunch on Saturday (and/or Sunday?). Looks pretty dang tasty... Gettin' stoked! :-P

So what are our numbers looking like so far, Mr Jim?

Holler...
    Here's tae us, Whas like us... Deil the Yin!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The food is always top notch. But the Supper fare is beyond comparison. Wait'll you try the haggis and the bread pudding with whiskey sauce.
    Jim Killman

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting excited as well !
    Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast