X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by English Bloke View Post
    Removing one's jacket? At a formal dinner??
    It sure happens at RSCDS formal dinner/dances! All dressed up for the dinner, then shove the tables to the side and dance the rest of the night. The Prince Charlies don't last long! At least in our California weather. My girlfriend at the time explained that it took extra care choosing what dress to wear: dressy enough for the dinner, cool and comfortable enough for the dance.

About the belt v waistcoat thing, I rarely wear either. I'm a piper and I need to look the part but at the same time I want to be as cool and comfortable as possible, and carry around the minimum kit possible. My kit is pared down to hat, shirt, tie, jacket, kilt, sporran, socks, flashes, shoes. I do without belt, waistcoat, kilt pin, sgian, tie clip, etc.

But as a piper I'm wearing an Argyll jacket, and I button it. A Prince Charlie is another matter, since it's worn open, and I would either wear a waistcoat or a belt.

I've only worn my Prince Charlie twice in the last year. For the Black Watch concert I attended I wore a waistcoat. For the Holiday Brass concert I piped at I wore a waistbelt (wide piper's belt with large vintage buckle).
    Last edited by OC Richard; 3rd January 14 at 07:46 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with OC Richard when it comes to PC's and dancing. Even in our neck of the woods, jackets will come off after a few enthusiastic dances.

As to wearing a belt with a PC, just wouldn't do it. I have gone "black tie" with an Argyll jacket and belt (black tie optional, with no one else kilted).

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to JohntheBiker For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys in the St. Andrew's Society here wear belts with PC jackets often. I don't think it looks bad. Frank
    Ne Obliviscaris

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion it is possible to wear a belt with formal waist plate and a waistcoat with a Prince Charlie and make it work. I've seen it done. More often than not though I see belts drooping and vast expanses of white shirt between the bottoms of the waistcoats and the tops of kilts. It is an unappealling look. Far better in my opinion to wear either the argyll jacket and waist plate (such as JohntheBiker is demonstrating above) or the Prince Charlie and waistcoat sans belt.

Cheers

Jamie
    Last edited by Panache; 3rd January 14 at 07:58 PM.
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Panache For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jackets come off very late in the evening. Or, is it the morning by then? And that's when you will see some very interesting shirt designs.
    Money is flat and meant to be piled up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally and utterly agree with Jamie - the white gap between is horrendous... therefore, no belt, but rather suspenders covered by the vest. If indeed the jacket comes off, you still see a well but informally presented gentleman who can put his jacket back on if he cools down, or better still, offer it to his lady.

It has always fascinated me that men (who normally complain of the heat) wear a jacket, vest, long sleeves, etc. while women (who normally shiver if there's a window open anywhere in the building) are expected to walk around with bare shoulders and arms.

Yes the lady looks marvellous, but if she then wears a gentleman's jacket and he goes about with long sleeves and a vest, everyone smiles and thinks how feminine she is and how gallant he is. Everyone wins - she's warm, he's cool, and everyone thinks how wonderfully in love they are.

Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say for sure how others decide, but I much prefer a waistcoat to a belt. I think both look just fine, but I would choose the waistcoat.

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    ...no belt, but rather suspenders covered by the vest. If indeed the jacket comes off, you still see a well but informally presented gentleman who can put his jacket back on if he cools down, or better still, offer it to his lady.
    The braces/suspenders idea advocated by Father Bill is one I endorse whole heartedly. It saves one the necessity of "hitching" up one's kilt after dancing vigorously. They keep the kilt exactly where it should be.

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Panache For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    The braces/suspenders idea advocated by Father Bill is one I endorse whole heartedly. It saves one the necessity of "hitching" up one's kilt after dancing vigorously. They keep the kilt exactly where it should be.

Cheers

Jamie
    How does one attach braces/suspenders to a kilt? I know in my trousers there is a button where they are buttoned into place. Would you use a similar method, or would you use the type of suspenders that "pinch" at the ends and essentially clip to your kilt--thereby requiring good tension in the clip and friction to keep them in place.

It seems to me that if I wanted to use my suspenders on a regular basis with my kilt (or even at all to be honest), I would have to get buttons sewn into the inside of the waistband. Is there another way?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Tartan View Post
    How does one attach braces/suspenders to a kilt? I know in my trousers there is a button where they are buttoned into place. Would you use a similar method, or would you use the type of suspenders that "pinch" at the ends and essentially clip to your kilt--thereby requiring good tension in the clip and friction to keep them in place.

It seems to me that if I wanted to use my suspenders on a regular basis with my kilt (or even at all to be honest), I would have to get buttons sewn into the inside of the waistband. Is there another way?
    You're right. Just be sure to sew the buttons right through the various layers that support the kilt. If they're sewn inside they don't show even whether or not you wear the braces.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast