X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quaich sent on: Happy Trails to You.

Thinking how I was going to end my hosting of the Quaich I new I was going to at least do one thing. This event put into my mind a way of saying so-long to the Quaich without really saying so-long. As a person being born in the mid 50's there are engrained in my mind some wonderful old TV shows and their theme songs. One great show watched by me, my two brothers and sister and my cousins, was Roy Rogers. Yes the ole singing cowboy with his lovely wife Dale Evans, Trigger the horse, and his sidekick who drove the jeep Nellybelle. Ok have I triggered some memories here? As fans of the old show will remember there was always the song to end the show yet it reminded you that we will meet again. There was never any sadness when the show was over because if you kept smiling you would meet Roy and Dale again next week. Simple lyrics but wonderful. As life has passed me by for 58 years the ole saying "Happy Trails" has stuck with my siblings and cousins to this day. Either via visits in person or emails or any other communication we always say goodbye with "Happy Trails". You might think this appropriate for a Texan such as myself but to be honest it has nothing to do with being on a horse or riding into the sunset. Here are the simple but long remembered verse we all know and love.

Happy trails to you, until we meet again.
    Happy trails to you, keep smilin' until then.
    Who cares about the clouds when we're together?
    Just sing a song and bring the sunny weather.
    Happy trails to you, 'till we meet again.

Some trails are happy ones,
    Others are blue.
    It's the way you ride the trail that counts,
    Here's a happy one for you.

As I packaged the Quaich for its transport to Xmarks member Scout I had this song in my head. Being Buddhist I had to laugh at how appropriate this song is to some Buddhist thinking. We look at the impermanance of things knowing we may meet yet we may part company in time. We also look at the interconnectedness of beings which is evident by the fact the Quaich has connected many Xmark members and others in sharing a dram and good cheer. I seriously doubt the Buddha ever thought of life as being a Happy Trail but he did speak of the interconnectedness of all beings. This continues on as I send the Quaich on to the next group of people who will share in the company of good cheer. And though I had to let the Quaich go I know one day it may present itself to me again, perhaps when I am at a Highland games or some other event where a XMarker has the Quaich. I doubt Roy and Dale ever thought of these things when they sang about being happy though we part because soon we will meet again but it is fun to look at the similarities.

Ok back to the subject of passing the Quaich on. It has been sent to Scout, may you enjoy the Quaich and the events and people you share it with. For Jennifer and I, we enjoyed the Quaich at three events. First was an informal night at Jennifer's house. These events were recorded on the forum here...

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...ntinued-82231/

The second event was New Year Eve at Bruce and Kathy, very good friends of mine. Unfortunately I hang my head in shame not having photos from that event. We did share half a bottle of Lismore via the Quaich but the event was so informal and everyone was wandering around chatting so photos didnt happen. Everyone really enjoyed the Quaich and scotch though so I will have to be happy with that.

Last and to me personally the most important event for Jennifer and me. This is part of where the Happy Trails also comes in. New Year day Jennifer and I usally celebrate by going on a trail run or hike. This New Year 2014 we opted for a hike on a lovely 29F with strong north wind hike on our favorite trail. Yes I do have photos this time and they are below. For me it was important to take the Quaich out to nature and then share a dram of whiskey with Jennifer in a place we both love, and with a person I love. The photos were taking facing west, into the wind, on Coyote Bluff. I often stop at this point during my many trail runs and hikes just to look to the west and appreciate the world around me. Having the Quaich connected me with the many people who have had it before me and those who will share it after me. We had a drink and wished each other a wonderful new year and got moving again because it got a bit cold in the wind.

Jennier holding the Quaich on Coyote Bluff

Jennifer with the Quaich on the bluff.

Of course a dram of whisky had to be enjoyed.

Of course I had to be in the photo kilt and all.

And my dram... yumm

Showing how few self inflicted photos I take due to the focus, here is Jennifer and I on the bluff.

After 2 more miles of hiking we ended the first day of the new year quite content. The Quaich now travels to a new host and then to many more to come. From me all I can do is thank Xmarks and the people here for allowing me to be part of this forum, be accepted as a kilt wearer and for a chance to share in our interconnectedness of the Quaich.

Yes...... Till we meet again....... Namaste
    Last edited by brewerpaul; 3rd January 14 at 04:49 PM.
    "Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to brewerpaul For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful sentiments and pictures, brewerpaul! I remember that show well. Pat Brady was the sidekick and their dog's name was Bullitt. -- Namaste
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done Paul.......

Hawk
    Shawnee / Anishinabe and Clan Colquhoun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Best post" nomination

Hi brewerpaul,

Thank you for your delightful story of your time with the Quaich. I have great memories from Kilt Kamp of the beginning of this voyage of the Quaich, and I am sure your memories will be as meaningful.

But I really enjoy the way you told the story. It adds a dimension to the brewerpaul story, to the gathering legend around the Quaich, and more broadly to the members' appreciation of the Forum.

For that, I nominate your post as the Best-Written Post of the Year. So far.

Congratulations,
    Grizzled Ian
    XMTS teaches much about formal kilt wear, but otherwise,
    ... the kilt is clothes, what you wear with it should be what you find best suits you and your lifestyle. (Anne the Pleater)
    "Sometimes, it is better not to know the facts" (Father Bill)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Quaich arrived in Maine today in in fine shape and ready for a few kilted New England adventures before being sent on to its next stop with Ern in Virginia. Pictures to follow!
    Mike Nugent
    Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Scout For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic Scout, looking forward to the adventures. Cheers.
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers