X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Self Employed Kiltmen

I'm curious to know, how many of you here are (like me) self employed?

I guess I ask because I am interested in hearing of your experiences and reactions to wearing a kilt while working, if you do.

Most of you know already that I am a signwriter. Much of my work is done at my home / workshop, that means I am free to wear a kilt every day.

When out on site I mostly wear shorts if the work is messy or up ladders. However, I am trying to find ways to wear a kilt in more work situations.

Today I installed a couple of signs at a Catholic school. I wore a 'dustcoat' to protect my kilt, and enjoyed the freedom of working on site in a kilt.

A female teacher complimented the kilt, the children took no notice.
    Later I visited a gas station ( as you call them in the USA) to look at a job there. The manager's name was "scotty", I told him that with a name like that he should be wearing a kilt (prob. short for Scot).

He then proceeded to tell me that just the previous week he has attended a brothers' wedding and most of the men wore hired kilts for the occasion!!.

I warned him, like you do, that his first kilt experience could well lead to the level of addiction that I now suffer from

On reflection, I have been a "pioneer" in various aspects and interests I have in our area over te years, including my business. (I was the first to introduce computerised signmaking to the State), but never did I think that I would be "pioneering" such a radical change in fashions/garments here.

In some ways it's scary, but exciting.

So what are you thoughts on this then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am self-employed part-time. For me, I think it is a non-issue, being that I don't have very many respones, positive or negative, that I've heard about from others. (darn!) :x The kilt is infinately more comfortable cooking in a hot kitchen! I use the image of me in a kilt on my web site and hope that it will stick in their head! My wife still hates the kilt and does her best to discourage it, but I persevere!

Larry
    "A chef is someone creative enough to call the same soup a different name every day"

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larry, I sympathise with the wife situation.
    mine only tolerates the kilt, that's all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife loves the kilts and prefers I wear them. I'm pretty much retired but I was a trucker, owned my own rig.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I have the opportunity to work for myself (done so most of my working life) and being a kilted soul, most of my reaction to the kilts says that I am such an independent guy, they think that kilt wearing is just an extension of that independent streak. Most of the remarks are positive, but most as I have said elsewhere is that I am just a character, and some even bet as to what kilt I will be wearing on a certain day. I might just through them for a loop and someday may wear pants, if I could find some.

I realize that I am very fortunate, and I can understand that some are fighting with bosses and co-workers, to be able to wear a kilt, please do not give up the fight!

Glen
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Later I visited a gas station ( as you call them in the USA)

So what do you call them in Tasmania then? I thought I was up to snuff on my terminologies...but I guess not

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll bet it's some name with "petrol" in it.

Casey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Graham... unfortunately, my job requires that I wear pants, shirts, hard hats, and all the safety equipment. No options... no exceptions.

When I'm doing my carpentry work (which I'm returning to now) I ALWAYS wear my Workman's UtiliKilt. That's what I bought the thing for. There's a certain "uniqueness" to the thing that makes it so no one forgets you.
    Arise. Kill. Eat.

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ALWAYS in a kilt

I am in a kilt almost every day now (except laundry day)... Then again, it helps to rock the product you're selling!

It's fun as h_ll sitting in a little old Irish Cottage, making kilts in the summer with a fan blowing, bagpipes blaring from my stereo, really cool Irish / Scotish customers visiting all the time and the company of a great friend across the room. Life doesn't get much better than this.

I honestly hope that each of you can find a job that you love as much as I love mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: ALWAYS in a kilt

Quote Originally Posted by RockyR
    I am in a kilt almost every day now (except laundry day)... Then again, it helps to rock the product you're selling!

It's fun as h_ll sitting in a little old Irish Cottage, making kilts in the summer with a fan blowing, bagpipes blaring from my stereo, really cool Irish / Scotish customers visiting all the time and the company of a great friend across the room. Life doesn't get much better than this.

I honestly hope that each of you can find a job that you love as much as I love mine.
    Yeah, it's pretty cool, ain't it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast