X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suspenders/Bowties and Feet

I've scoured the web, and so far the opinions seem mixed.

Would it be possible to get suspender buttons added to a kilt fairly easily from most of our favorite makers?

Is it a bad idea to ask for them?

Would they look better with or without a waistcoat?

Are bowties cool? (Sorry long-time Doctor Who fan, can't resist the wordage) I love bowties, but will they go with a kilted look? Is it better to match the tartan, or would that be too "matchy"? Perhaps a good neutral color instead (by neutral I mean a solid color tie that matches the tartan i.e. - Red or Blue for Robertson)

As for footwear, would it be a sin if I wore my kilt casually with a pair of sneakers? I believe the look is called "Geek Chic", as I am a geek I have no trouble with this label. But I like clear, bold lines and colors.

I am aiming for a more casual-business look that matches my love of "high-dress" and my desire to be comfortable.

All of this would, of course, include a sporran, probably a cover. Not sure on hose with sneakers though...thoughts?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    !. Nothing wrong with getting buttons put onto your kilt for braces, but I am not a fan of having them showing. ie without a waistcoat or coat.
    2. Wear a bowtie if you wish, I know Ern wears them on the odd occasions and they loook fine
    3. Sneakers with a kilt, a very very casual look from my point of view, maybe with a modern kilt, but with tartan not for me. Derek, a member here, has made hi top sneekers his style though, and I think he looks good.
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Downunder Kilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can sew the buttons on your self - on the inside of the kilt.
    Move the front two 'outboard' as much as you can and stitch only to the under apron. With waistcoat (or jumper) is better.

Selftie bow ties are OK. Pre-tied are the work of the Devil and should be taken out and burned in a public place. Bow tie with a 4 or 5 button waist coat is best. Without the waistcoat, shows an awful lot of stomach. If a man has even the smallest of paunch, it will look like a prize winning beer barrel - not a good look.

Sneakers, Hmm. The expression 'college kids out after curfew' comes to mind. I don't like the look. A nice pair of suede dessert boots has more of an adult look. The Hush Puppy look.

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Chas For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as brace buttons go, I'm considering them myself. Having lost some weight, my options are either wear braces, cinch my kilt up with a belt, or expose my dignity. of course the other option is to have the kilt taken in, but I don't know how to do that, and I don't know who does. Right now, the heavy-duty tool belt suspenders (found at hardware stores) works fine, but over time, I'm afraid of the damage alligator teeth will do. I would just say keep them hidden. I'm assuming if you're wearing braces, you're not belted, which might imply that you're wearing a waistcoat/jacket. If no waistcoat or jacket is employed, I would go with a belt.
    Bowties are fun, and I am a fan. In fact, I think it is (or should be) a law of manhood that one posses the ability to ties one's own bowtie. As long as the tie does not compete with the kilt, I think they're great. A simple regimental stripe or club pattern looks great with tweed daywear or an argyll worn dress/casually.
    As far as sneakers go, I've seen it done but couldn't pull it off myself. If you're going for casual, I might suggest a loafer or some other slip-on (crocs?). If you're going for athletic, maybe a high-top boot with ankle support. Either way, I would suggest hose - even if they're scrunched down a bit on top. Maybe pass on the flashes/garters and save that for dressier occasions.
    Don't forget - at the end of the day, it's your kilt and what you pair it with is up to you. There is an entire forum here that will attest to the fact that there is no right or wrong - only the kilted and everyone else!
    Cheers and best wishes,
    KPK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevin, it's quite easy to take a kilt in by moving one belt & one buckle. Take a good look online here through the search engine and you should be able to find several tutorials on how to do that. Takes half an hour only. Be sure to sew right through the steeking and linings.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunder Kilt View Post
    !.
    3. Sneakers with a kilt, a very very casual look from my point of view, maybe with a modern kilt, but with tartan not for me. Derek, a member here, has made hi top sneekers his style though, and I think he looks good.
    Derek makes it work nicely. I may try it myself when it stops being crazy cold out.

Link to Derek's pictures:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f285/derek-82106/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bowties are absolutely cool. It pains me to no end that it's not a look I can pull off. Bowyer & Fletcher is local to me and they sell some seriously fabulous stuff, if a bit busy to go with tartan. Dig it: http://www.bowyerandfletcher.com/

I also think sneakers can be perfectly fine with a kilt. High top Chucks are my favorite, hands down. I think most skate shoes would also work pretty well. Scrunched chunky socks, definitely.

Also, fezs are cool too. Just sayin'.
    Cheers!
    Bob

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunder Kilt View Post
    !. Nothing wrong with getting buttons put onto your kilt for braces, but I am not a fan of having them showing. ie without a waistcoat or coat.
    2. Wear a bowtie if you wish, I know Ern wears them on the odd occasions and they loook fine
    Very much my thoughts as well...
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Somewhere in the flat, dusty Texas Panhandle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In times past, I've used suspenders (clip-on) for a very heavy kilt that wouldn't fit just right. If you want to sew on some buttons, I may recommend putting them on the inside apron, or the back of the front apron. I LOVE using bow ties; they're really fun.
    ~Live Long and Piobaireachd~
    Jordan "Grip" Langehennig

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kilts, Suspenders, bow ties, and kilts

Bow ties are very much like suspenders when wearing a kilt…

…a waistcoat makes both them perfectly acceptable.

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast