X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caveat Emptor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to echo Tobus' point that the damage, bad as it is, does not really affect the wearability of the kilt. Also, I do not know how far the kilt was shipped, but it is quite possible that weakened fibers were disturbed further in shipment and crumbled- by any chance did you find a quantity of fibers in the bottom of the package?

I am not trying to defend the seller, but consider this- he/ she was selling the kilt- they examined it briefly and photographed it. They cared less about it than you, Hiburnicus, because they were getting rid of it. I do not expect they concealed the damaged apron so much as they failed to find the damage. And they failed to find it because, honestly, they were getting rid of it. They photographed it as it would be worn. Had they intended to deceive, they would not have mentioned the small hole near the pleat. Think for a minute about what you will lose by being generous in your dealings and what you might gain.

None of this makes the holes any smaller and I do not imagine it lessens your disappointment in the kilt. But maybe it can help you get past anger at the seller and maybe to some resolution. Caveat Emptor is always a good idea and maybe this experience will encourage X Markers to inquire carefully about potential damage. I think that was your original point, after all.

Congratualtions on your purchase of a good looking, traditional kilt. As Tobus says, you can have it repaired in dozens of ways or just wear it as it is. Presumably, the lower cost will encourage you to wear it fearlessly, knowing, like a "beater" car, that someone else has already done the initial damage.

PS- if you look carefully, you can probably find a piece of Mackenzie fabric in the same size sett. A plain old patch- which would be ugly and distracting on the outer apron, will be a simple way to stabilize the inner apron. If you can't find the MacKenzie, you can easily sew a square of oxford cloth or lining fabric behind the apron to stop the holes and tears from spreading further. Please let us know how you make the repair.
    Last edited by MacLowlife; 9th January 14 at 12:29 PM.
    Some take the high road and some take the low road. Who's in the gutter? MacLowlife

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacLowlife For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cleaning woolens in NOT bad for them. Cleaning woolens incorrectly is bad for them. Cleaning woolens is good hygiene.

Regimental= BAD. Bad for everything I can think of. Not even more comfortable.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to okiwen For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gentlemen, thank you all for some excellent advice and good educational points!

Troglodyte, I had no idea that such a place as 'without a trace' existed! That's a fantastic reference!

Tobus, Thanks for pointing out why the moths ate that spot (GROSS!)
    But, its a good point to bring up. I actually did some research and had reached that conclusion myself, and then confirmed it last night reading other old threads here on Xmarks. Interesting topics can definitely be found here!

Thanks to everyone who commiserated with me about this tragedy. Its a small thing in the greater scheme of things, but it definitely has taught me something, which is not all bad.

The seller has not responded to the messages Ive left, which makes me believe they sold out their integrity at a cheap price. It makes me think of the old saw about "the guilty flee when none pursues them" but of course I AM pursuing... lol.

On top of everything else, it turbs out that the kilt was measured wrong, or Im more fat than Im ready to accept...becuase its also to small for me! Dang!!
    Im already working on losing a couple inches around my waist, so tgis may serve as additional incentive. Hah!

Thanks again, this forum is a terrific place!
    Last edited by Hiburnicus; 9th January 14 at 01:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you purchased the kilt on Ebay and paid via PayPal you should have some protection. I would notify them and seek a refund. A few years ago I paid for an item on Ebay, the seller went out of business, I received nothing and had no problem getting a refund from PayPal.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    Tobus,

Given that we both live in intemperately hot places, and that regular cleaning of woolens is bad for them, you have just made a powerful argument against going "regimental."

I didn't want to know that, but I am glad that I do.

Thanks,
    Trog
    Well, uh, that was not my intent at all. As okiwen pointed out, cleaning wool is not bad at all. You just have to do it right.

As for going regimental, that's a personal decision that each person should make on his own. That alone doesn't ruin the kilt, nor is it even uncomfortable for a lot of folks. There are numerous ways to wear your kilt regimental whilst providing a layer between your inner apron and your little buddy. Riverkilt has posted often about kilt liners, for example. I personally wear long-tailed shirts (which is easy because I'm a short-torsoed chap and most standard shirt tails are long enough to provide coverage in that area). But even without such protective lining, a modicum of personal hygiene, kilt maintenance, and proper storage will go a long way in preventing this type of damage.

So my real point was not to avoid going regimental. It was to practise good judgment when you do.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also was on the receiving end of a misrepresented kilt. It was a baby/toddler kilt and the amount of money was very small but it ticked me off. The seller was not cooperative so I "escalated" the complained and had my money refunded in a couple hours by the big auction company.

That's one big hole, I would be very unhappy.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear these troubling Ebay stories. I've been lucky I suppose. All of my Highland jackets, and all my sporrans and belts, and my ghillies, are from Ebay.

My nice lovat tweed jacket did have some tiny moth holes, but I gave the seller a pass because they were very small and in a location not easily seen. Quite possible that the seller never saw them. These are the only moth holes I can remember, in dozens of garments got on Ebay over the years.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12