X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bonnie heather View Post
    When I saw this photo for the series, I felt mesmerized. I want so much to make a ladies outfit like this one. Of course the man's attire is really nice, too. I've made several breacan feile. But something else called out to me, too. The man's tartan looks to me very much like the the MacKay Reproduction as woven by D.C.Dalgliesh. Just last week I finished making a kilt in that tartan so this photo really has a hold on me.
    I was a little disappointed in the tartan he is wearing in the photo. He's a Fraser, for crying out loud. There are numerous references in the books to the fact that his tartan is red. Why did they make his costume a non-red tartan?

The boots are a little pirate-like and over the top too, IMHO.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I was a little disappointed in the tartan he is wearing in the photo. He's a Fraser, for crying out loud. There are numerous references in the books to the fact that his tartan is red. Why did they make his costume a non-red tartan?

Good points, Tobus. The boots do look a wee bit funny with the breacan an fhéilidh, but at least they are a style seen during the 18th-century. And who knows, there could have been Highlanders who wore boots such as these (unlikely though, since most went barefooted), but I will say, brogan tionndaidh with cath dath stockings would have looked far better and probably more historically accurate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MacKay tartan in the reproduction colours and woven by D.C. Dalgliesh:

Fraser tartan in the reproduction colours and woven by D.C. Dalgliesh:

I think the Fraser clan tartan in this particular colour scheme would have been just fine for the character of Jamie Fraser. Scottish Highlanders of the 18th-century loved colour for Pete's sake! If the books state an "abundance of red" in Jamie's kilt, then why not adhere to the author's original intent? Especially in regards to this particular detail. I suppose the series costume designer, producer, etc, wanted the tartan to look more subdued; perhaps a wee bit drab and earthy, of which I totally understand, given the similar use of tartan hues in other period films such as Rob Roy and Braveheart. Yet, I think the Fraser tartan in the reproduction colours achieves that look quite well.

Leave it to Hollywood...
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 13th January 14 at 02:16 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post

Thought exactly the same thing when I first saw the photograph. Good lord, a highland pirate.
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Downunder Kilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunder Kilt View Post
    Thought exactly the same thing when I first saw the photograph. Good lord, a highland pirate.
    Ailean Breac Stiùbhart (Alan Breck Stewart)!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have to say, though, that casting Tobias Menzies as Black Jack Randall was a good choice. He is pretty close to what I pictured him as, and I think he (as an actor) has the capability to play the evil part pretty well.

But it's funny, as I was reading the books, the guy I pictured in my mind as Jack Randall was really the actor Jason Isaacs. He played such a good "bad guy" British officer in The Patriot that it just stuck in my mind, and every description in the book of Randall reminded me of him. However, I think Tobias Menzies comes a close second to being perfect for the role.

The woman they chose to play Geillis, though, isn't at all what I had in mind.

*edited to add: Oh, and by the way, I added Starz to my satellite package just for this series, so it had better be worth it!
    Last edited by Tobus; 13th January 14 at 03:07 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tobus,
    I completely agree with your Black Jack Randall character choice! Also, the fellow they picked to play Dougall isnt at all who I pictured him as. The actor is an older gentlemen and I always figured Dougall in his 40's.

As to the kilt, I agree Jaime should have been wearing Fraser tartan. That point is very obvious in the books. Mentioned several times throughout.

I still caint see Sam as Jaime. Sam seems smaller and not as rough as Jaime should be. I still think Chris Hemsworth would have been perfect but he isnt local to where they are filming and is a big star(expensive).
    Somebody ought to.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Guinness>water For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have read this entire series as well, and learned a lot from it, even it they were novels. Movies and/or TV are never as good as the book they are drawn from. Frank
    Ne Obliviscaris

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to frank_a For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
    I have read this entire series as well, and learned a lot from it, even it they were novels. Movies and/or TV are never as good as the book they are drawn from. Frank
    Quite right, Frank.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As to the kilt, I agree Jaime should have been wearing Fraser tartan. That point is very obvious in the books. Mentioned several times throughout.
    True. However, when they first meet, Jamie is living with his McKenzie relatives and doesn't don his Fraser kilt until they get married (gotta look that one up) and at the oath swearing at the McKenzie clan gathering.

What's really standing out for me is that if you've read the books you'll remember that Claire hates wearing stays which she is obviously wearing in that photo.
    Last edited by Dixiecat; 14th January 14 at 10:45 PM.
    --Always toward absent lovers love's tide stronger flows.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dixiecat For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast