X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A STARZ Original Series From Executive Producer Ronald D. Moore: Outlander

Greetings,

We are approaching the series premiere of Outlander, which is scheduled for release sometime later this year. The television series is based on the international bestselling novels by Diana Gabaldon, with the first book of the series published in 1991. In June 2013, STARZ ordered 16 episodes of a television adaptation and production began in October 2013 in Scotland. I have yet to read the books, but I may have to remedy that very soon. The actors that have been cast for the series are in my opinion, well chosen, since I am familiar with some of their past work.

The overall plot does make for a rather interesting and intriguing television series:

In 1946, after WWII, a young Englishwoman named Claire Beauchamp Randall goes to the Scottish Highlands with her husband, Frank. She’s an ex-combat nurse, he’s been in the army as well, they’ve been separated for the last six years, and this is a second honeymoon; they’re getting re-acquainted with each other, thinking of starting a family. But one day Claire goes out walking by herself, and comes across a circle of standing stones—such circles are in fact common all over northern Britain. She walks through a cleft stone in the circle….and disappears. Back into 1743, where the first person she meets is a gentleman in an 18th-century army officer’s uniform. This gentleman, Jack Randall, looks just like her husband Frank—and proves to be Frank’s six-times-great-grandfather. Unfortunately, he also proves to be a sadistic bisexual pervert, and while trying to escape from him, Claire falls into the hands of a gang of Highland Scots, who are also trying to get away from Black Jack Randall—though for other reasons.

In order to avoid being handed over to Captain Randall, Claire is obliged to marry one of the young clansmen. So she finds herself trying to escape from Castle Leoch and her Scottish captors, trying to get back to her husband Frank, trying to avoid being recaptured by Captain Randall—and falling in love with Jamie Fraser, the young man she’s been forced to marry. The story rolls on from there…

Despite the fact that Outlander is purely and quite obviously a work of fiction, hopefully, the attention to detail is present. I am curious what the rabble thinks. Many of you may have never even heard of this series, which was precisley my case until just a few weeks ago when I read an article about the upcoming television adaption produced by Ronald D. Moore of Star Trek: TNG, Star Trek: DP9, and Battlestar Gallactica fame. Will you be keen on watching the series once it begins later this year?

Here are several links for more information:

http://www.starz.com/originals/outlander

http://www.dianagabaldon.com/books/outlander-series/

https://www.facebook.com/OutlanderTVSeries.starz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rkkyp78xFQ

Lead characters, Claire Randall Fraser (played by Caitriona Balfe) and Jamie Fraser (played by Sam Heughan)

Photo used with kind permission by STARZ.

I'm sure we will be hearing/reading more about this series on the forum as time goes on. In the meantime, happy viewing (or reading, if you decide to pick up the books as well)!

Beannachd leibh,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 9th January 14 at 08:19 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to creagdhubh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like fun!

As a veteran, Kyle, you have seen the big details writers and producers get wrong about recent events, details that are easy to get right, so I wouldn't hold out much hope that Outlander's costume department will do all that well, but as with military shows/movies, I'll be happy with a well-written 80% solution.

With the books, remember that a novel is a different art form from a television show. TV is a visual medium that uses one page of screenplay for each screen minute, so a lot of backstory will be lost (which is why we always hear "the book was better" from fans). But, following your lead, I will put the books on my present list now!

Just pray there's good writing!

Best,
    Trog

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Cardinal For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you havent read the books...................PLEASE DO!

I really, really enjoyed the first few books in the Outlander series. I havent read all of them yet but will soon. Diana did a great job in incorperating history into the story and for the most part, as far as I know, its pretty accurate.

If your into Jacobites, sword fights, and ruff tough Highlanders, you will like it!

The only weird thing is, is that the books are written from a women's(Claire's) perspective so the romantic scenes are a little uncomfortable to a hetrosexual male.

I'm very excited to see the TV series! You end up becoming friends with the characters and miss them after not reading for a while.
    Last edited by Guinness>water; 9th January 14 at 10:45 AM. Reason: spelieng
    Somebody ought to.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Guinness>water For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinness>water View Post
    I really, really enjoyed the first few books in the Outlander series. I havent read all of them yet but will soon. Diana did a great job in incorperating history into the story and for the most part, as far as I know, its pretty accurate.
    I have read all the books, and they are a darn good read. Quite a yarn she can spin! Yes, it borders on being a romance novel series, but it's such a great story that it's worth wading through the romantic bits.

On the historical accuracy front, though, I'm afraid she botched it quite a bit. I mean, it works for her story line, but people who really know the facts of the '45 will be shaking their heads. Not to mention some of the details of the American Revolution. But as long as you suspend historical reality for a bit and let the story tell itself, it's all good.

When I recommend this series of books to others, I always tell them that the first book will suck them in within the first 50 pages. The second book (Dragonfly in Amber) will be difficult to get through, as it seems to drag ON AND ON in France, but you just have to muddle through it to get back to the good stuff.

Any news on when the next book is due out? Many of us have been waiting for it for a while now.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, I am not familiar with the two leads, but the cast includes some fine character actors, which bodes well.

I have read the excerpts from the book on Diana Gabaldon's website, but these have not convinced me that historical romance is my thing and small but significant inaccuracies tend to grate with me (I know they served gallantly - http://www.qaranc.co.uk - but I'm not sure any members of QAIMNS was ever referred to as a combat nurse?).

I might give the TV show a go though, so thanks for this interesting post, Kyle.
    Last edited by StevieR; 9th January 14 at 11:38 AM.
    Steve.

"We, the kilted ones, are ahead of the curve" -
    Bren.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to StevieR For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Any news on when the next book is due out? Many of us have been waiting for it for a while now.
    June 10, 2014 (see the link below). Wow, I have a lot of reading to do before then!

http://www.dianagabaldon.com/misc/wh...t-book-be-out/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieR View Post
    I might give the TV show a go though, so thanks for this interesting post, Kyle.
    Sure thing, Stevie!

Cheers,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read all the books and really enjoyed them. I think I'm looking forward to the Starz series more than my wife!
    Dean
    Fac Et Spera!

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMathTX For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diana Gabaldon did a book signing at a local Highland Games this summer and the ladies were lined up to get their book signed. When I asked what the Outlander series was, all the women told me, "fantastic romance novels, set in the Highlands".

Since I was told "romance novel" my curiosity ended there. Perhaps the books are more than that? hmmm
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Displaced 3rd generation Californian now residing in the "old" State of Jefferson, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife has enjoyed reading the series. I haven't read them, but I think I will pick up the first book and have a go at it.

Thanks for the heads up, Kyle.
    [I][B]Nearly all men can stand adversity. If you really want to test a man’s character,
    Give him power.[/B][/I] - [I]Abraham Lincoln[/I]

18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Highlander31 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast