X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clan Leatherneck Society?

Is anyone onboard either a member of or have contact information for the Clan Leatherneck Society? It is my understanding that as an organization, they have been in existence since 1998 and sponsor tents at Celtic events. Their website says it is currently under construction and lists no other information. I know they are on Facebook; however, I do not participate in any of the so called "social media."

I am involved in the Highland Games and compete in an olive drab kilt but for formal events and ceremonies it is appropriate to wear a tartan. While I am very proud to be a decendant of Clan MacDonald, I do not wear the tartan. I consider The Corps as my clan and display the U.S. Marine / Leatherneck tartan (and perhaps Steve's 'Dress Blue' tartan in the future) and therefore am interested in perhaps joining the Clan Leatherneck Society. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Wishing you all the very best in the new year.
    Cheers Mates & SEMPER FI,
    Dale
    Scottish Heavy Athletics - Certified Judge
    Per Mare - Per Terras

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had wanted to get with them at the Alexandria Christmas Walk, since the order of march showed they were marching, but between activities with SAMS and Clan Davidson i didn't manage to connect. I would appreciate the same info.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never heard of them.

Semper Fidelis,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done some investigation and have found that although the organisation has been in existence since 1998, it has only had a web presence in the last 6 months.

I would suggest contacting the organisers of any events at which they have attended and ask them if they have a contact address.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone is on Facebook you could post the question to them there. I saw their page but like I said, I'm not a member so I can't post anything.
    Dale
    Per Mare - Per Terras

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their website mostly just points to their various social media, but they do have an email contact form.

http://www.clanleatherneck.com/

On the left side there's a little flyout menu. The envelope icon will take you to the contact form. I posted on their Facebook page as well, asking for some contact info. I'll pass it along as soon as I get a reply.
    Last edited by ratspike; 10th January 14 at 06:50 PM.
    Cheers!
    Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Withnell View Post
    I had wanted to get with them at the Alexandria Christmas Walk, since the order of march showed they were marching, but between activities with SAMS and Clan Davidson i didn't manage to connect. I would appreciate the same info.
    I was able to meet up with them for a few minutes. First time I'd seen them outside of the Games they attend.
    Virginia Commissioner, Elliot Clan Society, USA
    Adjutant, 1745 Appin Stewart Regiment
    Scottish-American Military Society
    US Marine (1970-1999)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did you think of them? Did they say anything about the organization?
    Dale
    Per Mare - Per Terras

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been in communication with Donald Green, head of the Clan Leatherneck Society, and I liked what he had to say. I intend to join as a Life Member as soon as they can accept applications. For your information I have posted his responses to my questions below.

Thanks for the interest! BTW, I am Donald Green, so maybe we are cousins way back somewhere.

Clan Leatherneck Society comes from a group of Marines that were shipboard stationed in Scotland back in the 60s. One of those original Marines has long hosted a tent at the Richmond Va. games and I have become friends with him and his son, and they gave me the goahead to try to make something big out of it. The basic goal is to celebrate and honor our Marine Corps and Celtic heritage and traditions. The short-term goals are to set up a membership program with members getting a lapel pin and bumpersticker for basics, then the true benefit being members-only discount codes to vendors who sell gear and regalia that Marines and/or kilt wearers might find cool or useful, along with a quarterly email newsletter. I'm also looking at special challenge coins for plankholders, life members, and folks who recruit a certain number of new members. We will host tents at a few games and festivals each year, and also "license" the idea for members to host thier own tents at their local games. I'm thinking of selling those folks bumperstickers at a bulk rate for them to sell at thier tents to recoup expenses, and also asking them to distribute membership information.

My hold up right now is on some graphic art design so I can get the membership supplies made.

I haven't narrowed down the membership costs yet, but I am thinking somewhere in the $20-30 range for annual and $75-100 for life. To raise initial startup funds, I'm thinking of maybe a special "plankholder" life membership somewhere in the middle of those ranges with the understanding that the membership package won't come until I get some memberships sold tofund the startup debt free.

One thing I forgot to add about future plans, is that part of the proceeds will go to Marines in need and veterans' causes. At some point, my hope is to be big enough to start a 501c3 foundation on the side to allow donations to increase the giving.

Dale
    Per Mare - Per Terras

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the interest

I want to keep this non-commercial, so I'll just say that Clan Leatherneck is up and running now!

Semper Fi!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast