X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unusual kilt and outfit - GGG-Grandpa

I am not sure that this is the proper board to share this in, but I would like to share this image of my g-g-g-grandfather, John Delany. To me this kilt and outfit look very odd, but this is a legitimate image that I believe is pre-1900. I need to contact my grandmother to get more details on what was happening here and when this was. She also has a clearer, larger image. This was taken in Wisconsin after he and his wife Anne came from Scotland, and supposedly he was dressed up for some sort of parade or event (so I have been told). Interestingly, John was always cold here in WI and is, in this image, wearing long underwear under his kilt and hose.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on this image and outfit? I almost wonder if it wasn't some "costume" for a fraternal order or group of some sort. To me the kilt looks lightweight and strange and the rest of the outfit a bit off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting image. His face has a certain dignity and authority.

I've seen photos from this time where the kilt hose are worn quite low, just over the largest part of the calf. Maybe that's tricking my eyes into believing that the kilt itself is oddly short. Then again, perhaps it's the long underwear that is distorting the shape of his knees in the photo. Sometimes a still photo does not capture the nuances our eyes can detect.

Do you know what tartan he is wearing?
    Ruadh gu brath!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always thought it looked short too. I am not sure what clan the tartan is. The family always talks about being "Campbell." John's wife was a Campbell (as was another relative elsewhere in the family), but I am not sure with John. The family has always said he had connections with the Campbells as well, and I know the he came from Near Ayr or Loudon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 'fashionable' height above the knee at which a kilt was worn has gone up and down over time. If you look at illustrations of early Highland Regiments it's worn QUITE high indeed, later it comes down to a finger or two above the knee.

Do you know where he lived in Wisconsin? If it was the Milwaukee area he might have been an early member of the Milwaukee St. Andrew's Society, which is the oldest charitable organization in Wisconsin (unofficially started in 1847, officially chartered in 1859). You might be able to track his name in early member rolls and possibly work from there.

Here's a directory for their records at the Milwaukee Historical Society

Welcome aboard XMarks, btw!

ith:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm inclined to the view that it was probably for some Fraternal Order as you suggest. Early last year I picked up an Oddfellows Sash on eBay. Your photograph gives an insight to how it might have been worn.

As for the kilt, not only is it clearly light weight, possibly silk, but it appears to be gather all the way around rather than pleated. The image is of insufficient quality to be able to comment effectively on the tartans. The kilt and shoulder sash could be the same sett, the latter is certainly a complex one, but the waist sash is completely different. They're definitely not Campbell and if this was a fraternity then were in all likelihood a 'special'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not gotten into contact with Grandma yet to ask more (or to the cousin that has done more genealogical work), but I am doubting this was Milwaukee. As far as I know, the family came pretty straight from Scotland to Poynette, WI. A number of families all moved at about the same time. Most of these have made their way into my family at some point, but include names such as Delany (no "e"), Campbell, Beattie, Dunning, and Jamieson. Most of these families, I believe, were Lowland Scots (most of them came from Ayrshire). I do know they were pretty proud of their nation of origin however. These families quickly established a Presbyterian Church (still the family church), an Academy, and a curling rink (supposedly one of the first in the state). Poynette is/was a relatively small town and I am unaware of any fraternal orders such as the Odd Fellows, etc. I do know there was a Masonic Lodge. Either way, I would guess this kilt was not brought with from Scotland, and being a Lowlander, he may have not had a kilt at home. Likely this was "created" here in the States to allow grandpa to "show off" his Scottishness.

IW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacW View Post
    Likely this was "created" here in the States to allow grandpa to "show off" his Scottishness.

IW
    This was my suspicion, too.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pure conjecture on my part, but I think your last assumption is correct. Being a Lowlander, if this is really pre-1900, he likely had no experience or knowledge of wearing kilts. I see several other details in the photo that suggest this is a makeshift pseudo-kilt outfit by someone who could only approximate the look. Although I do tend to question even the date of the photo. That's pretty good quality photography for the 19th century. Has this image been digitally cleaned up?

Cool family history, nonetheless.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they played the "nobody around here will know the difference" card, I bet they never anticipated in a million years that people from all over the world would/could nitpick his sartorial choices that day on a kilt-nerd forum a few generations later.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

10. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been chatting with family and have more information. First, this is NOT my ggg-grandfather but rather my gg-grandfather John Campbell Delany. Unfortunately it gets confusing because the Delanys, for many generations, recycled the names Charles and John... over and over.

It was John's mother and father that came from Scotland (Ayrshire). Also, this being John is post 1900 (as suspected by Tobus). A cousin has a similar photo taken at the same time where John is standing with my great Aunt who is VERY young in the photo and my grandfather is likely not born yet. This would put the photo to right around 1930 give or take a year or two.

Reasons for the attire... it is not clear but one of my "cousins" seems to recall that they heard this was being worn for a big bonspiel (curling).

Isaac