X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty Ross View Post
    Attachment 16366
    Two days wearing "tights" with a kilt has been an interesting experience. I appreciate the comments so far. Much of the choice of how to wear a kilt in cold weather really depends on what your doing. I drive a delivery truck. This means climbing in and out all day, in and out of stores and bushiness, bending and squatting. During the milder weather I wear kilts EVERY day. So these work clothes need to be affordable and I also prefer machine washable. I have two ultimate Sport Kilts. I normally wear Black Kilt Hose anyway. Wearing black leggings, most people never noticed, from the front you can only see 3 inches of knees. Just to make it interesting I asked several of my regular customers what they thought of my wardrobe choices. The response was totally positive.
    For those who have gotten to know me, know I pretty much march to the tune of my own pipes. I love wearing my kilts. Working in this part of the country in single digit temperatures isn't much fun. So when you can do it in a kilt and stay warm too, I think I'll go for the tights, The cheep ones.
    Matty you along with most of us here march to our own piper or drummer. I have worn a pair of black wool "long underwear" with my kilt and Saskatchewan Roughrider sweater to a game in November. It was - 10 deg C. I also had a blanket over my knees... My Riders won and went on to win the Grey Cup!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    The look of tights under a kilt would remind me of unfortunate scenes like when Snoop Dogg wore one with black leggings (or maybe just kilt hose pulled all the way up with no turnover).
    I found a pic of Snoop Dog in his kilt...the elastic of his flashes is uncovered, so his socks must be pulled all the way up!

kilt-6.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    My solution for the ultra cold "kilted" days - a 22 oz. kilt as Glen has suggested, long kilt hose - if necessary roll them up over your knees. Wear a long overcoat which covers your kilt and part way down your calves. I wear my "drover" coat to about - 10 deg C and a wool overcoat when it is colder. Much of your heat loss is at the top (especially those of us who are folically challenged) so wear a warm hat.

Well done! You look like John Murdoch in this photo.

http://islayhistory.blogspot.com/201...r-pioneer.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    My solution for the ultra cold "kilted" days - a 22 oz. kilt as Glen has suggested, long kilt hose - if necessary roll them up over your knees. Wear a long overcoat which covers your kilt and part way down your calves. I wear my "drover" coat to about - 10 deg C and a wool overcoat when it is colder. Much of your heat loss is at the top (especially those of us who are folically challenged) so wear a warm hat.

I agree on the pull them up. That was the point of really long socks being rolled down below the knee in the first place, you could always pull them up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently got married on a fine winters day In Minnesota in my Kilt. It was a balmy 4 F (-15 C) I have a 16oz 8 yard kilt and I was fine I had far more trouble with upper body during outdoor wedding pic session than I did with my lower parts. My legs were a lovely rosy shade though.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueline72 View Post
    I recently got married on a fine winters day In Minnesota in my Kilt. It was a balmy 4 F (-15 C) I have a 16oz 8 yard kilt and I was fine I had far more trouble with upper body during outdoor wedding pic session than I did with my lower parts. My legs were a lovely rosy shade though.
    Hello, Blueline72! Congratulations on getting hitched, and

Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASinclair View Post
    Hello, Blueline72! Congratulations on getting hitched, and

ditto that!

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to IsaacW For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never fond it necessary to wear any form of leggings under my kilts, but if I did I'd go for the black thermal long johns I have for skiing. Unlike tights, they at least have a fly.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a pair of black thermal long johns that i cut a hemmed to be a few inches above my knee, on really cold days i wear these under my kilts and no one can even tell.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have pondered the idea of wearing some old snug calved, stretchy skinny jeans I have. The down side is I would need to remove the kilt hose to get them off and on. They do provide a fly for the "necessaries", but holding up a kilt and dropping trousers at the same time could be too interesting. Wearing this indoors would be too hot.
    I normally wear my kilts a bit lower ( just below the knee cap ) when it is really cold outside here. That is all that is needed to keep the knobby knees warm. Back inside the kilt goes back up real easily.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck
    Originally Posted by MeghanWalker,In answer to Goodgirlgoneplaids challenge:
    "My sporran is bigger and hairier than your sporran"
    Pants is only a present tense verb here. I once panted, but it's all cool now.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast