X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Quaich visits Maine ...

The Quaich arrived in Maine on Monday, January 6th and was an honored guest at the monthly meeting of the Maine Police Emerald Society on Wednesday at Bull Feeney’s Pub in Portland. Bitter temperatures and high winds meant that only a couple of us were kilted, but everyone enjoyed hearing the story of the Quaich and of course also enjoyed putting it to its proper use and sampling a wee bit of “uisce beatha”.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XM 1.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	16361

(With the Maine Police Emerald Society. That's me in the back row, 2nd from the left)

On Friday, January 10th I accompanied the Quaich to a pub night with my friends from the Maine Public Safety Pipe & Drum Corps at Byrnes Irish Tavern in Brunswick. Once again it was put to good use prompting an impromptu performance by one of the Pipers and a bit of a song fest by the rest of us. As the night also coincided with a Guinness promotion I had to take the opportunity to get a photo with one of the lovely Guinness Girls!

Name:	XM 2.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	16362

(With the Maine Public Safety Pipe & Drum Corps, yours truly on the left)

Name:	XM 3.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	16363

(Guinness Girl and putting the Quaich to good use!)

Name:	XM 4.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	16364

Name:	XM 5.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	16365

On Saturday the Quaich and I were headed to the Winter West Festival in Westbrook. Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate (a common occurrence in Maine) and a little too much winter weather in the form of ice and freezing rain forced the cancellation of many of the events including the dogsled races which are always great fun.

The Quaich is now heading to Virginia where Ern will host its next adventures. Hopefully it can make its way back to Maine sometime, perhaps during summer (which is generally between July 25th and August 10th) when we can get some nice scenic “tourist” photos with it!

Thanks for the opportunity, it was fun hosting it!
    Last edited by Scout; 16th January 14 at 04:06 PM.
    Mike Nugent
    Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike, sounds like the Quaich had a good time in Maine, but all I see are little x's where the pictures should be.
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wot no Clambake?

Seriously though, it's great to share in its continued adventures, once you have hosted it the memory is always with you.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent pics, looks like the Quaich had a good time in Maine.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to cessna152towser For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    The Quaich arrived in Maine on Monday, January 6th and was an honored guest at the monthly meeting of the Maine Police Emerald Society on Wednesday at Bull Feeney’s Pub in Portland. Bitter temperatures and high winds meant that only a couple of us were kilted, but everyone enjoyed hearing the story of the Quaich and of course also enjoyed putting it to its proper use and sampling a wee bit of “uisce beatha”.

(With the Maine Police Emerald Society. That's me in the back row, 2nd from the left)

On Friday, January 10th I accompanied the Quaich to a pub night with my friends from the Maine Public Safety Pipe & Drum Corps at Byrnes Irish Tavern in Brunswick. Once again it was put to good use prompting an impromptu performance by one of the Pipers and a bit of a song fest by the rest of us. As the night also coincided with a Guinness promotion I had to take the opportunity to get a photo with one of the lovely Guinness Girls!

(With the Maine Public Safety Pipe & Drum Corps, yours truly on the left)

(Guinness Girl and putting the Quaich to good use!)

On Saturday the Quaich and I were headed to the Winter West Festival in Westbrook. Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate (a common occurrence in Maine) and a little too much winter weather in the form of ice and freezing rain forced the cancellation of many of the events including the dogsled races which are always great fun.

The Quaich is now heading to Virginia where Ern will host its next adventures. Hopefully it can make its way back to Maine sometime, perhaps during summer (which is generally between July 25th and August 10th) when we can get some nice scenic “tourist” photos with it!

Thanks for the opportunity, it was fun hosting it!
    Anyone know why I can't see the pictures?
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm seeing them fine, Allen, and others are commenting on them; could it be a computer setting? Are you seeing pictures in other threads?
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got the same problem as you Allen, but see photos in plenty of other threads
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I'm seeing them fine, Allen, and others are commenting on them; could it be a computer setting? Are you seeing pictures in other threads?
    Bill, yes I can see pictures in other threads, just like Downunder Kilt. Curious....
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Curiouser and curiouser," said Alice. I have no ideas for you under those circumstances. Sorry.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Errr, um, I cannot see the pictures either.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast