X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Web site feature request

Hello, Nick!

With the realignment/rebranding efforts, I know this will sit low on the priority list for quite some time, but I wanted to get the idea out there while I was thinking of it.

As often as I've used the Scotweb website, it would be great if an account holder's preferred measurements could be stored as part of the account details, and could be used to "pre-populate" those fields when an appropriate item is selected for purchase. The site already remembers the last tartan I purchased. Remembering/recalling measurements in similar fashion would be nice!

For example, I've already provided such figures as chest size and sleeve length on previous orders. It would be nice if I could now select a new jacket or waistcoat, and have the site recall said dimensions from previous orders as appropriate, to fill those values in automatically upon selection. Some dimensions (such as waistline) can be more variable than others (such as sleeve length), of course, and there should always be a way to override or update pre-saved "defaults". But I believe a feature like this might be more convenient than digging through previous orders from my account page, looking for the one that had that waistcoat, to see what my "nape to waist" dimension was, the next time I order another waistcoat.

Any thoughts?
    KEN CORMACK
    Clan Buchanan
    U.S. Coast Guard, Retired
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ken!

Thanks for the suggestion. You're right we have a list of developments as long as our arms (about 80 in the planning pipeline right now). We could do with a tech team twice the size of our available resources. In fact I keep advertising, but it's surprisingly hard to find people with the right skills.

But we're making progress. The next stage of the Dalgliesh site redevelopment should be live very soon. And that's a stepping stone towards a full scale relaunch of our next generation Scotweb site too. At the moment we're tied into rather clunky old back-end software that makes it slow to make significant changes, so we're looking towards sunny uplands where we can do things like this much faster. I'll log the idea for consideration then (hopefully later this year) in that Projects file.

Having said that, we've pondered similar ideas before. And it's not without its own potential issues. For example, people... erm... grow, and auto-filling a waist measurement from several years earlier might be opening us up to complaints (in which the vendor is always wrong!). And because we sell many products we manufacture ourselves, but also supply goods from other manufacturers whose 40" might mean something quite different than ours (such variation is notorious in the clothing trade) we'd have to be very careful about applying this across the board. Plus, of course, people buy for friends or other family members, so we'd probably have to include an identity tag of some kind. All just loose thoughts.

I wonder if a simpler solution might be to make full details of previous purchases more easily accessible in (or from) the members' area, to let customers review the measurements they entered for previous purchases. That way it would be purely informational, without the risks of auto entering. What do you think?

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Nick Fiddes For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Fiddes View Post
    Hi Ken!
    I wonder if a simpler solution might be to make full details of previous purchases more easily accessible in (or from) the members' area, to let customers review the measurements they entered for previous purchases. That way it would be purely informational, without the risks of auto entering. What do you think?
    I wondered about the "notorious" variation between manufacturers, and agree that shopping for others also presents it's own issues. I think your idea to instead allow easier retrieval of measurements from previous orders would be VERY helpful. Doing this would allow the current "size not specified" safeguards to continue as they have (preventing the "vendor is always wrong" situation you describe), and would help me recall whether my torso is 19 or 20 inches from nape to waist, at last measurement. As discussed, I understand the necessity of prioritization, so any such feature would be some time to see realized. (I love the look of the new home page at Dalgliesh - I can't wait to see that new look propagated to all the pages of the site!)

By the way, I noticed that the bias-cut tartan waistcoat appears to have been cut from the product line-up. That's too bad. I love the one that I have.
    KEN CORMACK
    Clan Buchanan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Ken - as I said, I'll add your suggestion to the 'to do' list...

As for the bias cut waistcoat, thanks for pointing this out! We had an employee last year who got a bit overenthusiastic with decluttering the product range, and we're still picking up the pieces in terms of noticing things missing. It's now back online!
    http://www.scotweb.co.uk/products/bias-cut-waistcoat/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That direct link works fine, but the bias-cut is missing from this page:
    http://www.scotweb.co.uk/mens-wear/w...sts/waistcoats

It has also disappeared from the navigation lists that appear down the left side of the pages. So unless a customer is provided the direct link to the bias-cut, there's no way to get to it by navigating the site.
    KEN CORMACK
    Clan Buchanan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Ken - it's appearing for me. I THINK it's probably just that you've already browsed that page recently so your computer (or ISP) may be caching it from before I updated. But I'll keep an eye on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it helps, I've just cleared cache in FireFox, and also then checked the page using IE (which I normally don't use for anything except work), and just don't see it.
    My ISP doesn't use a proxy, so if there's any caching going on, I'm at a loss where it could be. Darn. I'll look more into it later, from my end.
    KEN CORMACK
    Clan Buchanan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm... odd! What happens if you search Scotweb for 'bias waistcoat'? And presuming you find it, what happens if you then go back up the breadcrumbs on the product page?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Searching for the word "bias", I can see the waistcoat. But that appears to be the only way to navigate to the product. I'm still not able to see it any other way.
    KEN CORMACK
    Clan Buchanan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other way that I now can also get to the bias-cut, is by a previous order. Last night, when I viewed order # 111091 from Dec 2012, which was the order for my previously purchased vest, the link for the product brought me to the non-bias waistcoat page. That's what got me realizing I couldn't find the bias-cut.

Now, when I go back to that old order and click on the link for the product, I again can get to the bias-cut page. So via previous orders, and the search function, the bias-cut is viewable. But still not via any of the standard site navigation/product-line menus.
    KEN CORMACK
    Clan Buchanan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast