X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: throwing help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wear gloves for open stone or Braemar stone. However, you can wrap your wrists, which I do.

I actually wear those cheap latex dipped, cotton gardening gloves for weights and hammer and caber.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really only wear gloves to avoid all of the tacky (pine tar) that some (many) athletes put on the implements. I'd rather replace a glove than my skin! I've been using Mechanix Wear gloves for the past couple seasons, and they seem to last a bit longer than other types, but it is personal preference.

As Alan stated, they are not allowed in the stone events. Chalk and wrist straps are the prefered tools in those two events.

They are probably not the best idea for caber either, in my opinion.
    "When I wear my Kilt, God looks down with pride and the Devil looks up with envy." --Unknown
    Proud Chief of Clan Bacon. You know you want some!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because everyone loves pictures...

Here are a couple with gloves,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	999346_692209900794676_1191141993_n.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	16786

Name:	1466065_755287914486874_2118640838_n.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	16788

and here are a couple with a wrist strap,

Name:	1395312_755326884482977_586158886_n.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	16785

Name:	1011417_692198137462519_1576282302_n.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	16787
    Last edited by azwildcat96; 11th February 14 at 03:54 PM.
    "When I wear my Kilt, God looks down with pride and the Devil looks up with envy." --Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmmmmmm...Bacon...

If you don't mind a critique of your stone putting form: You look to be caving your left side a bit. More power if you keep your chest up and your shoulders level. Good post leg, tho. Doesn't look like you reverse...
    Kit

'As a trainer my objective is not make you a version of me. My objective is to make you better than me.' - Paul Sharp

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to o1d_dude For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by o1d_dude View Post
    Mmmmmmm...Bacon...

If you don't mind a critique of your stone putting form: You look to be caving your left side a bit. More power if you keep your chest up and your shoulders level. Good post leg, tho. Doesn't look like you reverse...
    I welcome pointers! Great obervation, too. I've been working on keeping my left shoulder up and my left arm pointed out where I want the stone to go...haven't succeeded yet, but making progress.

...and YES!!! BACON!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear gloves for Weights, WoB, Sheaf, Hammers and Caber (Wow, I guess the only one I don't wear them for is the Stones). My only problem is that I have a one handed, left handed Leprechaun who seems to think he needs a glove for his left hand more than I do. On Sunday I found no less than 7 right handed gloves in my box but only 1 left handed. A puzzling situation to be sure!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as gloves go, I agree - I don't like getting the tacky on my hands. So I wear a plain leather glove from Lowes on my right hand for WOB & WFD events. I get the glove that has the string pull on the back of the hand.

For hammer, I wear a pair of gardening gloves that have a tighter fit & are a bit stretchy. I've also heard baseball gloves recommended for this, because they are tight & you can still fell the hammer.

Stones tend to bother my wrist some, so I have a wrist wrap (WRAP, not STRAP) for weightlifting that I put on my right wrist. It's stretchy so gives some spring as well. They come in different lengths, I don't think you need a very long one for stones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12