X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sporran chain vs. Sporran leather strap

Any preferences between using a chain vs. leather strap for the sporran? I have heard that the chain will "pill" the wool on the kilt, thus the all-leather strap is better.

Advice much appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have pointed out before (Hamish), the chain can wear more on the kilt, where as the leather strap is more friendly to the material.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giraffe,

I know that this is a distance from your stomping grounds, but Thistle & Shamrock at Ulster & Bellview at Marina Square in the DTC have all sorts of sporrans with leather and chain on display and for sale. Frank & Cheryl are very helpful and quite informative. I find them a source of information that I cannot phathom. It is a cool store and yes every so often I see Frank wearing the kilt.

Glen
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience Ham is absolutely correct about the strap being safer for the kilt than a chain. I asked our local supplier about it and he acted like he'd never heard of the chain wearing on the kilt. Odd that. It does seem a little dressier to see the shine of the chain, but since I'm an informal kind of guy I use a strap most of the time. I am surprised that they are not easier to find though.

Jamie
    Quondo Omni Flunkus Moritati

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I simply avoided the hunt and made a sporran strap. A strip of leather, a couple rivets and a couple trigger type clips. Took all of a few minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did have a chain and it did pick and wear on my kilt. It took me about a year of looking to find a black strap to match my sporran. It was much eaiser to find a brown strap.
    Nelson
    "Every man dies. Not every man really lives"
    Braveheart

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sporran straps

In the past few months, and as the opportunity has arisen, I have questioned kiltmakers and sporran makers in Scotland about this - just to get the current 'take' on the subject.

The general consensus is that straps are, indeed, much more practical but chains are fast becoming a fashion accessory. This is apparently attributed to the fact that chains show up better in the photography used in catalogues and websites!

This, to a certain extent, is an indication of the way in which traditional methods can evolve, for whatever reason. 50-odd years ago, when I came to kilt wearing, sporran straps were the norm for day wear, whilst chains were reserved for full evening dress outfits.

I currently have a new day sporran on order. When I placed the order, I asked about having a strap and was told that one could be provided in place of the chain-strap if that was what I wanted. It did not appear to be an unusual request.

Regardless of what might be fashionable, I have too much respect for my kilts to wear chains on my day-wear sporrans.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Hamish (welcome back) if you order a strap with the sporran there should be no problem.

Personally, I don't like a chain at all except in a Pipe Band situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bow to all those who have posted above with superior knowledge then myself.

I actually bought a leather strap at the same time I purchased the sporran, and had been thinking along the lines of wearing the leather strap with the day sporran and using the chain for the evening sporran.

Thanks for all the great input.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A sporran strap is actually incredibly easy to make and only takes a few minutes.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast