X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normal day yesterday. Added 5 pounds to db rows and Arnold press. Went down a few swings on the kb (feeling tired, I guess). Second phase was 5 rounds of:

250 row sprint
    5 back squat
    5 incline db bench press
    5 knees-to-elbows

I went light on squat. The board called for 80% 1RM which would have been 220#, but I did 115#. I'm still pretty gunshy around squats. My DL is coming around without any issues, and I'm sure in a week or so I'll feel more confident, but I still have memories of the lumbar pain I had last November-December. I suppose discretion etc. etc...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same strength stuff, same numbers. This was the second half... 3 rounds of:

3 laps of the yard with a loaded prowler (135# total weight)
    15 OH squats, PVC
    15 push press, 110#
    15 ring rows
    15 GHD situps

Then some throwing practice. I felt like I could not get out of my own way. Before everyone else showed up, I tried a couple of WFD throws, and on the first one my right hip gave a big POP and was feeling like doodoo the rest of the time. I'm trying to introduce some of the drills I've found online like the toeboard drill. I can see that I'm still dropping my head in the stones. I bought a light hammer and did a few throws, but the camera was in a bad place. Also, the PVC was brand new and we had no tack, so it was nearly impossible to keep hold of the handle if you really gave it a strong wind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to basics.

1. Stones

You're basically squatting in place, caving your left side, and trying to rotate the stone out of your hand into the air. The way you set up to throw the weight, set up like that to put the stone. Lean back as far as you can toward the back. As you come up, drive your right hip forward while your right shoulder trails. Your left or "post" leg goes straight, your chest pops up like you're walking on the beach to show off your pecs, your eyes are up in the sky. The very last thing you do is punch the stone out. Think "Elbow the Dwarf (with your left elbow) and punch the Giant (with your right hand)." No loopy round house punch either. We want a straight right punch.

2. Weights For Distance

A. Stand with both feet facing the trig and parallel to the trig. Your feet should be about shoulder width apart with your weight on the balls of your feet. If your weight is on your heels, you cannot spin. As you swing the weight forward, remain in place until you see the implement in front of your right shoulder. Then do a quick 3/4 spin so you land with your left foot to the front and your right foot facing the right sideline of the box. This is the "Power Position".

B. Pay attention to the high point of the weight's arc. You want the high point to be over the trig. You want the low point to be over the back of the box.

C. Until you get the technique nailed down, don't let your ego drive you to spin faster/throw harder. It takes only a few hundred reps to commit a technique to muscle memory but a few thousand to correct a bad technique. Try to be smooth because it's faster. Think "Smooth is fast."

Wrap the PVC handles of the hammers with old school "friction tape". Athletic tape isn't as effective but may work for a couple of throws.
    Kit

'As a trainer my objective is not make you a version of me. My objective is to make you better than me.' - Paul Sharp

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to o1d_dude For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would it make sense to start WFD with a lighter weight to help isolate my footwork? I know the softball drills and have done some, but would like to help a lighter implement?

I bough some 3m spray adhesive. That is what they seem to use at local games. I don't think I've seen taped handles (maybe a regional thing). I know that my hammer is just for practice, but I think I'd rather stick (ha!) with what it will feel like in competition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're still using a kettlebell for your throwing weight, you can try a lighter bell. The sweet spot is about 20-24 lbs as it's heavy enough to simulate the throw but a bit lighter than regulation.

I generally train with a 24lb LWFD and on game day adrenaline makes up for the additional four pounds.

Not a big fan of the softball drills that Alan recommends. I'd rather see you with a weight in your hand. Specificity is king.
    Kit

'As a trainer my objective is not make you a version of me. My objective is to make you better than me.' - Paul Sharp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took last week off due to a cold and having family in town...

Yesterday was the same starting point, followed by 4 rounds of:

400M run
    10 front squat
    10 clapping pushups
    10 broad jumps
    10 one-armed ring rows

I then headed out for some hammer. I had planned on doing some stones as well, but the workout REALLY kicked my butt this time. I think I'm still suffering from some lingering effects of the cold.

I'm trying to keep my arms long, and working to pick a focus point just at my left shoulder. I think my hammer technique is not terrible, but I suspect I'm wrong about that.

Looking at this again... I think my release is at too acute an angle. It looks like the hammer is traveling at about a 30 degree trajectory. Also, should I only focus on long arms in the "pull," or all the way around? I see some videos where they pull their elbows in as the hammer heads over the top.
    Last edited by TeleMark; 4th March 14 at 08:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only half bad. LOL!

Your arms are long in the front but you're pulling in when the hammski is behind your head. No big, it's fixable. Once you realize you're bending your arms to go around your head, you just move your head out of the way. Easiest way to do that is to look up.

Narrow your stance a bit, shoulder width is good. You've already got your toes turned out which is required if you're not using blades.

The key is to focus on keeping your low point of the swing to the right side, say in line with your right foot. You're doing that on the first wind but the second wind is to the left of your left foot which creates difficulties in the release...see following paragraph.

Everything you've ever done up to this point is telling you that throwing the hammers is like swinging a baseball bat. That's wrong. It's more like a golf swing. Instead of "throwing around your hips" and hitting a line drive to second base, you want to throw up over your head and put some hang time on the hammer so it's like a home run fly ball to center field.

Baseball Swing

How it should thrown

Next lesson is the Highlands hula. Your arms are simply holding the hammer and going along for the ride. Think a rope. The power in the hammer comes from your hips and core. When the hammer goes left, your hips lean right, when the hammer goes right, your hips go left. Same thing front to back. A hula hoop is your friend.

Highlands Hula

When you're doing it right, it will seem easier. Don't argue with inertia and gravity, make them work to your advantage.

Keep at it, young Jedi. Scots you are, throw you must.
    Kit

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to o1d_dude For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attempted a couple of tweaks of the form. I did try to tighten up foot position and to add another swing. I also noticed from my first vid that the low point of my swing started in front of me and was well to my left before release. I watched some of the Mike Pokowski drills and he talks about keeping the first low point about 2:00, then 1:00, etc. Also trying to swing UP more than OUT. Results may vary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your form is looking better however the hammer head is still precessing from right to left. Your release occurs from the left side of your left foot.

What may help is if you think in terms of "pulsing" your pulls rather than winding like a propeller.

Lean your head back so that you can extend your "rope" arms at the top of the arc. You will get a much longer radius and less strain on the arms and shoulder joints.

Here's a drill you may find helpful. Grab the hammer handle about 12-18" from the hammer head with your left hand. Now grasp the hammer head with your right hand. Put the right hand/hammer head combo on your right shoulder and assume the throwing position. Let the hammer head fall and sling the hammer back over your left shoulder with the left hand like a one handed throw. Try to get height rather than distance. Walk out to the hammer and switch hands and throw it back to the starting point with your right hand. That's one rep. Do 10.

For more information on this drill, check out Todd "Ironman" Taylor's website at http://www.ironmanthrows.com/. There's a file you can download there titled "Pud Throws" that shows pictures of the drill I described. You can also read a bit about and see some pictures in Dan John's Get Up! Newsletter from Dec 2005 at http://danjohn.net/pdfs/iv8.pdf

If the name "Dan John" sounds familiar it's because he won the HG Masters Division at Pleasanton a few years back. Was also heavily involved with X-fit until he and Glassman had a falling out.

Keep working on your throws. Getting good in one event usually has a beneficial effect on the others. They are all essentially LIFTS.
    Kit

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to o1d_dude For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Throw it high. Look straight up in the sky at the release. I'm totally serious. STRAIGHT UP IN THE SKY. Point your chest into the sky. You can NOT throw that hammer too high.

well....yeah, you can. It's possible. But you're nowhere near that issue, yet!

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Alan H For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast