X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just raising up my head to confirm that I still draw breath... Not a lot of throwing in the past couple of weeks. The Phoenix games are this weekend. A few of us did a handful of throws Saturday. I've been trying to incorporate more "hip" into my hammer, and to throw up rather than out. So far this resulted in me falling 3 times out of 5 throws. I think I was getting more distance, but obviously heading over the trig is a no-no. I'll get a conservative throw in the books and then see what I can do.

Also during some practice the previous week I strained an extensor in my right arm throwing hammer. It's much better now, but I really did not want to push my luck. If I keep it up, I can probably add some additional excuses before I leave for Phoenix.
    Last edited by TeleMark; 21st March 14 at 08:23 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First games of the season in the books. As expected, I was DFL in Masters 40+. I really don't care about where I finish. I'm the smallest guy on the field, and there were a lot of very talented throwers in the class. If I had chosen to throw lightweight, I probably would have beat 4 throwers. It being the 50th Phoenix Games really drew a big crowd. I had slight hopes that I might have some better numbers, but I'm generally happy with this as a starting place.

Braemar: 20' 2.5" *
    OStone: 23' 8" *
    LHammer: 62' 9" *
    HHammer: 44' 8.5 *
    LWFD: 29' 5"
    HWFD: 20' 3" *
    WOB: 11'
    Sheaf: 15' *
    * - PR

Not stellar, but I saw at least small improvements in nearly all. WOB was a tie for previous PR. Sheaf was entertaining. I've only ever done sheaf at the Tucson games last year and barely cleared 12'. Since the class was so large at PHX the bar started at 15, which I cleared on my second attempt. I had thoughts of trying a 2-spin LWFD but chickened out at the last minute. It was a great field with some fun guys who provided some helpful tips. There's not much time between now and Las Vegas, so my next "focus" games is Prescott in early May.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know some guys in a solid practice group in Tucson, if you're anywhere near there.

EDIT: Hmmm, maybe not. Google maps says 4 hour drive.
    Last edited by Alan H; 26th March 14 at 03:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I know them well. I actually started a local club at the end of last year so I'd have someone else to throw stuff with. We have anywhere from 6-12 people every Sunday and we will be getting a full complement of weights from Mike Landrich next week (we are being supported by the local Celtic society).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weights1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	17441

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice!
    Landrich is solid stuff...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice weights.

Never get down on yourself for your performance. You threw better and further than everyone sitting in the stands or on the other side of the crowd control barrier. Never forget that.

Aaaaaaand you had FIVE PRs.
    Last edited by o1d_dude; 31st March 14 at 11:41 PM.
    Kit

'As a trainer my objective is not make you a version of me. My objective is to make you better than me.' - Paul Sharp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. I usually average 10 minutes of bummed-ness for every hour of "happy with the fact that I'm out there throwing."

One very helpful thing from the PHX games is that they had a photog out there who posted pics on Facebook. I found a few of myself, and in EVERY SINGLE ONE my head is down at time of release. I knew this was a problem of mine, but seeing the actual images has made a big impression. I threw a bit on Saturday and really forced myself to keep my head up. That alone causes the hammer to have a much higher trajectory, which netted more distance. "Head UP" will be my mantra in Vegas.

There is a link on the Nasgaweb page with photos from the Arnold Classic. Every single thrower is looking skyward at release. I think it may be a coincidence, but I'm going to try.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TeleMark View Post
    There is a link on the Nasgaweb page with photos from the Arnold Classic. Every single thrower is looking skyward at release. I think it may be a coincidence, but I'm going to try.
    Yeah. It may just be a coincidence. Right. LOL!
    Kit

'As a trainer my objective is not make you a version of me. My objective is to make you better than me.' - Paul Sharp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing there were thoughts of my demise, but I am still out here and trying to throw stuff without looking like a complete idiot. I did the Vegas games a few weeks back and had several PRs. I also had my first controlled caber pick. The first pick bounced off my cheek, the second went too high, and the third I picked, took 2 steps back, centered, and then completely forgot what I was supposed to do in the runout. I managed a feeble throw, but I was just happy to have a pick.

I also NEARLY PR'ed in sheaf. I've only done sheaf twice in my life. At Phoenix, the bar started at 15' and I cleared it on my second throw. In Vegas they started at 14, which I cleared first throw. At 16 on my final throw, the bag sat on the bar for about a second and rolled back. Did I mention the winds were easily 40 mph sustained, and that I had the wind at my back for the throw? I'm calling that 15' 11.75".

I did a little throwing today. I'm trying to work up a 2-spin WFD. In the video, the yellow is 14#, blue is 28, and orange is 42#. I'm dealing with a slightly strained biceps, so I'm trying to not overdo it.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to TeleMark For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biggest flaw that I see is that you're stepping off in the weights with your left foot. This puts your hips completely opposite to where they should. End result is that you land the final spin with your hips seriously "closed" and have to throw around your body.

To correct this, don't think you're going to "run" at the corner. Think you are going to "rotate" into the corner.

You should also practice no spin throws. Just stand in the "power position" at the trig with left foot near the left side of the trig, right foot about 2-3 feet back from the right end of the trig. Swing the weight back and and drive right hip forward and follow with the weight. This is where you want to land your final spin.

BTW, the high point of the weight's arc should be forward over the trig, not out over the left or right side.

Here's a nice slow demonstration of the two spin weight throw...

Kit

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast