X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mark's Training Log: I may be weak, but at least I'm slow.

I've decided I need to start putting stuff out in public to keep myself on track. A little background... I'm 44, have thrown in 3 games before this year (twice in Flagstaff and once in Tucson). Each time I basically threw "cold." I did a little practice before my first games, but have not really done any specific training. I do work out at the least "Crossfit" Crossfit affiliate around (we have not done a "main page" workout in about 3 years and the focus is more like a D1 strength and conditioning program). Current max lifts:

Shoulder press: 155
    Back Squat: 275
    Bench: 210 or so
    Deadlift: 360 estimate (have not maxed in months because of back issues)

For years I was more of an endurance athlete. I've done 2 Ironman triathlons and run maybe a dozen marathons, with the last being 2000. I've been trying to become a stronger athlete for the past 4 years or so, and have seen decent gains. For most of last year, I've been fighting a back problem. Diagnosed with a herniated disk at L4-L5 and had a cortisone shot just before new year. My chiro has cleared me to start back deadlifting and squatting with light weights, so I'm trying to build again.
    Last edited by TeleMark; 9th February 14 at 09:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since there did not seem to be anyone in my area who was throwing, I decided to start a throwing club myself. Thankfully I've convinced a few folks that throwing heavy stuff up and around could actually be fun, and we have probably 10 or so who have been out to the 3 practices we have held. We also did a clinic with some folks from Tucson who have had a club for several years.

My technique is awful. I know that, but they say that admitting it is the first step. Surprisingly, I think hammer is my best. At our clinic yesterday I was tossing light hammer about 64 feet. With a little practice (read: ANY practice) I think I've got 80 feet in me.

WOB I have cleared 11 in a games, and matched that yesterday after it was pointed out to me that I was using NO legs and was releasing the weight about chest-high. Something else to work on.

My WFD technique was described yesterday as "drunken Tinkerbell." Something else to work on.

Stones? I have some. I went to the landscaping place down the hill and told the guy I needed some rock. He asked me what I was looking for and I told him "Well, I'd like one about 20#, a couple around 16# or so, and maybe one around 10#." He looked at me like I had an extra head and told me to take what I needed and not to bother him again. As to throwing them, I'm around 22' for Braemar, and maybe upper 20s for open.

Caber? Don't ask. Same with sheaf. I think I cleared 12' at Tucson last year, but I managed to not stick the fork through my leg, so I'll take that as a good start.

So, this year is the first I'm paying attention to anything. I'd like to hit 13' WOB, 80' in light hammer (see above), 26' Braemar, maybe 34' in open, and I'd like a decent pick on a caber. Oh, and to not stick a fork through my leg.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to TeleMark For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to put up some video we can all make some suggestions .

you're strong enough to throw 40 feet LWFD, 12 feet WOB, 30 foot open stone and 25 foot Braemar, pretty much for sure. So I'd say "throw more, lift less" as long as the throwing doesn't mess with your back.
    Last edited by Alan H; 10th February 14 at 09:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roger that... For now, it's going to be "lift more, throw some" until I have the kinks worked out of the ol' spinal column. First competition is Phoenix at the end of March, so I do need to get on the stick.

Back to the gym today. We are doing a 24-workout strength building phase where the "easy strempf" as our gym owner calls it is the same. Here's the sequence:

2x5 hex-bar DL - 240
    2x5 dumbbell row - 65
    2x5 Arnold press - 45
    20-50 2 arm KB swings (if you hit 50, move up) 40 swings with 45# (conditioning is a limiter)
    1x5 ab wheel thingy.

We always do some dynamic moves and joint rotations (shuffles, stretches, lunges, short runs) before we start. This is only my 2nd week back doing all the motions, so I'm still taking it slow. I warmed up the DL with 160 and did the sets with 240 which felt good. It's the first moderately heavy lifts I've done since mid-December, so easy is best. Felt pretty good.

Conditioning was the following:

4 prowler sprints (20 yards with 90#)
    10 goblet squat (I used 35#, as it's the first weighted squats I've done since my back issues...)
    10 windshield wipers
    10 one-armed ring rows

Repeat that whole sequence 4 times. I was a little winded by the end. It's odd being in such low conditioning, considering I'm a former endurance guy.

I had intentions of doing some hammer winds with my ballistica, but I noticed that the carabiner on the thing got stretched when we were throwing it last week, and I figured the neighbors might not appreciate the thing flying through their window if the carabiner busted. So, there's that.

I did carry about 100# of rocks from my Jeep to the back of the gym, as I did not feel like taking them back after our clinic Saturday. That counts, right?

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to TeleMark For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing throwing related yet. I could not find any snap clips for my ballistica, so that limits me from doing too much. Hopefully will throw some kettlebells Saturday. Did the same starting complex, with some different weights:

2x5 hex-bar DL - 255
    2x5 dumbbell row - 70
    2x5 Arnold press - 50
    240 swings with 45# KB
    1x5 ab wheel thingy.

"Conditioning:"

Run 200M
    5 backsquat @ 95#
    5 pullup
    5 knees-to-bars

This was my first weighted backsquats in nearly 2 months, so I'm starting low. The workout called for 75-85% which would be about 210, so less than half of prescribed. I'm taking it slow for a couple of weeks to see how things go. I neglected to bring my squat shoes, which really help my knees from diving inward, and I'm waiting on the arrival of a lifting belt, so between getting this stuff and a few workouts without any issues, we'll see how it goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to find more about the Easy Strength thingy, check out Dan John.

Here's a link to his Even Easier Strength program. Dan and Pavel T have been collaborating for many years.

Dan has also been my internet and real life throws & SC since the 1990's. He's the real deal. I might be a little biased tho.
    Kit

'As a trainer my objective is not make you a version of me. My objective is to make you better than me.' - Paul Sharp

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to o1d_dude For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the same Easy Stremfp workout, same weights. Conditioning was 3 rounds of this:

3 laps Prowler (loaded with 90#, about 80M/lap)
    15 overhead squats (I just used PVC)
    15 pushups
    15 situps
    15 bent-over dumbbell rows 40#

My lack of conditioning is showing. During the last round of rows, I had to pause to regain my composure (ie: not puke-burp). I wasn't running with the sled, but those laps are a slow burn. I was also hurrying through the workout as I was taking my valentine to a movie (it's also her birthday).

My work bonus came through yesterday, so I'm lobbying for a GoPro. Hopefully I can record some throws on Monday.

GoPro acquired. Operation "Record Bad Throws" about to commence.
    Last edited by TeleMark; 15th February 14 at 04:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same Easy Stremfph. Conditioning/variable was 4 rounds of

150 jump rope spins
    10 front squat
    10 clapping pushups
    10 Russian twists.

I also managed to get some throwing in. I did a few stone puts (Braemar and open). I just brought the open stone (about 16#). For WFD I used my homemade implement: kettlebell, PVC handle, and muletape. I did not measure anything, since other than open stone, nothing was with the appropriate weight (I only had a 20# bell (actually, I also have a 35 and a 53, but did not see the value of trying to toss any of these)).

I am the worst thrower on the planet. I'd ask you to be kind, but then I probably would not get any responses whatsoever. I will say that my battery in the GoPro died about 15 minutes before I finished, and I actually got a couple of "decent" 2-spin throws and did not fall on my tuchus. I also set a new WR in open stone, but you'll just have to trust me on that one.

I chose to film my DL because with my back recovery I want to check my form and make sure I'm not rounding. 255 is not a super difficult weight (although it feels like it now considering I'm a little out of form), so I think I kept a decent position.
    Last edited by TeleMark; 17th February 14 at 02:36 PM.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to TeleMark For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to give you two quick hints and let you take it from there.

Stones:

1. You're putting your chin down on your chest. This is due to or causes you to lean forward in the put...one of the other. You want to keep your chin and your eyes up. Look up to the point in the sky where you want the stone to go.

2. Most of your motion is up and down rather than from back to front. You need to work on getting the stone as far back from the trig as you can as you draw back. Then imagine a slanted line from that point to your aiming point in the sky. Do your best to propel the stone along that line.

Weights:

1. Start your wind up squarely *facing* the trig. In your video you're starting with your back to the trig. Facing forward will help you complete your rotations.

2. Almost all throwers start their windup by swinging the weight across their body to the left and then letting the weight swing back to the right. From there the weight should swing behind behind you. The throw starts as the weight comes out from the back swing. Pay attention to the arc the weight follows in your rotations. You want the high point to be over the trig, not off to either side or worse yet out the back.

Weights and stones are LEG events. If you rely on arm strength you will not achieve your potential.

Youtube is your friend. Search for videos on "Scottish weight throw" "shotput" "Braemar Stone" and such. There are many excellent videos with slo-mo breakdowns and such that can be very helpful.

Here's a topical one for you: It's from last year's Arizona Highland Games. Pay attention to the opening bit of the Open Stone throw. Chin high, look up.

The band Brother rocks at Highland Games.
    Kit

'As a trainer my objective is not make you a version of me. My objective is to make you better than me.' - Paul Sharp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips. I'll attempt to apply them on Saturday.

In more exciting news... In December I started a throwing club in my town (as apparently no one else was going to do it). I have been working with the local Celtic society, which puts on the games in Prescott. They have rented equipment from Phoenix every year to use at their games. On Monday they approved a significant amount of $$ for the purchase of games weights. The weights will be used by our club during the year for training, and by the society for the games. I'm talking with Mike Landritch and will hopefully have the stuff within the next few weeks.

Now we just need to build a quiver of cabers.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast