X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Phil is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battle lines drawn over Bannockburn row

From the sound of this article in today's "Hootsmon" (Scotsman for the uninitiated) - http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/he...-row-1-3300359 - the 700th anniversary celebrations of Bannockburn (battle of) seem to be in difficulty.
    Anyone planning a visit might be as well keeping an eye on developments and the organisers don't think there will be anything like the numbers attending that were at the last homecoming.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Phil For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is it that I am not surprised?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for making sure that our members who may be planning to visit are up to date on the dates available so that they can plan accordingly.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that's encouraging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be there. I might be the only person in the world attending, but I'll be there.
    Got to figure out the details is all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link Phil.
    Basically all this says is that the Members of the Scottish Parliament seem to be miffed at not being the first to learn of Visit Scotland's amended plans for Bannockburn 2014 which include extended opening hours to compensate for the loss of re-enactments on the third day. There will still be activities for the clans on the Monday and my hotel is already booked and paid for till the Monday morning so I expect to be there all weekend and on the Monday.
    I shared the Visit Scotland press release here last week:-
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...83/index7.html
    Unlike the 2009 Edinburgh gathering fiasco, the tradesmen and performers have been promised payment in advance by Visit Scotland so should not be left out of pocket, and Scottish based Clan Chiefs, Chieftains, Armigers and clan society members will be on hand as hosts to welcome our visitors to the clan tents. I'm really looking forward to this event and as we Scots are putting on the show I really hope we can provide the best gathering ever for our visitors. The Muster of the Clans which we hosted, thanks to His Grace the Duke of Buccleuch, Chief of Clan Scott, at Selkirk in September 2009 was undoubtedly my favourite highlight of the 2009 homecoming year and I am hoping that Bannockburn 2014 will be even bigger and better.
    AcuteEnigma you certainly won't be the only one there! Be sure to call round at the Cunningham tent and say hello.
    Last edited by cessna152towser; 10th February 14 at 01:48 PM.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to cessna152towser For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All is well, just a few politicians getting some print and others buying into it. After you visit Alex in the Cunningham tent come by and see me in the Clan Chattan.

11. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Phil is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope to be there too but, like Jock Scot, there is virtually nothing in the local media (apart from this negative reporting) so how do you decide?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the Bannockburn Live website for info.
    www.bannockburnlive.com

And then tell all your friends about it. The digital reenactment sounds wonderful despite Fiona Hyslop's odd statement that the English won. (I still don't get that)

Pipefest will be on Friday, June 27
    Bannockburn Live will be on Saturday and Sunday, June 28-29
    Clan day will be on Monday, June 30

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bannockburn Live Program

The fun includes:
    (paraphrased from an email making the rounds)

-- a large scale battlefield involving over 300 re-enactors (live people!) who will recreate the atmosphere of the most famous battle in Scotland's History. Battles will take place at noon, 2pm and 4pm.

-- encampments that evoke the preparations for battle and of medieval times including a fully operational kitchen, blacksmiths, armouries and living quarters [ your basic SCA encampment? ]

-- a Clan and Family Village with 40 clans and families

-- a Food and Drink Village will have high quality, seasonal and local artisan food and drink for sale.

-- Storyville - a place for Scotland's story to be told through music, song and the spoken word. There will be many interactive games and activities for children.

-- The Main State which will have folk and contemporary music

-- Craft stalls and demonstrations

Sounds similar to the big Gathering 2009 event but with a war instead of the "games" and a much bigger emphasis on history, which makes sense.

Either the live re-enactment or the digital re-enactment costs more money. Not sure which it is.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast