X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kilt pin Keeper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Kilt pin Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Freelander
    Hi all,....
    (No thanks to the Norwegian Customs They kept it for nearly a week!!)....
    [/img]
    I was just wondering.....has anyone been traveling kilted, by air lately in the US or overseas...Airport security (TSA) have been known to take nail files, etc., have they been concerned about kilt pins or the broach pins, where the pin itself is 3 inches long?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to clarify.
    The kilt pin in question was sent to me in the post, and was a question of Duty payable, and tax due.

I don't know about traveling by air,with a kilt pin attached to your kilt. So if in doubt ring the airline.Or just take it off, and pack it, before you travel.
    This will no doubt cause less of a problem and heartache if it gets confiscated.

Happy Travel's 8)

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Kilt pin Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Celt
    Quote Originally Posted by Freelander
    Hi all,....
    (No thanks to the Norwegian Customs They kept it for nearly a week!!)....
    [/img]
    I was just wondering.....has anyone been traveling kilted, by air lately in the US or overseas...Airport security (TSA) have been known to take nail files, etc., have they been concerned about kilt pins or the broach pins, where the pin itself is 3 inches long?
    Hi,

Yes, from my experiences in the USA last year, I can tell you that kilt pins CAN be a problem and my advice would be to remove the pin and pack it - but not in your carry-on bag! I travelled to and from the USA, and coast-to-coast across the country, in either camouflage skirts (made for the purpose) or Utilikilts. With the latter, even the metal snaps set off the security alarms at the airports!!
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As crazy as they're getting I'm just waiting for em to make everyone fly naked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While flying to New Jersey, I had to remove sandals to be scanned. I was made to walk bare foot through the screening process. But if it keeps the planes in the air, oh well.

And you could take an eye out with a kilt pin....

Slainte,

Tobie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy
    And you could take an eye out with a kilt pin....

Slainte,

Tobie
    How true....that is kind of why I was unsure...they (TSA) let me take my knitting needles on board now, which actually surprises me. In the past my husband and I were told we couldn't take a butane type lighter on board even though we had purchased it at the Duty Free shop inside security at the same airport...Best idea is probably for hubby to wear his kilt, but without a kilt pin, or a broach for the plaid and just pack them in a suitcase.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12