X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCAC View Post
    Did you read my previous posts?

I will summarise for you.

We are OK with the rules of this site. We agree with them and agree to be bound by them.

We are being over-moderated WITHIN THESE RULES!

This is driving some good members away and compelling other good members to diminue their participation here for fear of upsetting people or being percieved by a moderator as to potentially, maybe, in the future, breaking some rule or another which has not yet been broken.
    Yes, I have read all the comments. Particularly yours, as often they are accompanied with a palpable "something" beyond the text.
    As well, condescension gets you no points.

As said, continued explanations serve only to obfuscate. If all those, battling so hard to convince the Moderating Hierarchy to alter their position, are in fact "OK with the rules of this site", then the logical extrapolation is all those must be "OK" with procedural enforcement of said rules. Especially when the successful history of that enforcement has been factually articulated by an experienced Moderator and the Forum's owner.

Anything beyond is subjective theoretics, replete with incomplete facts, what-if scenarios and straw-man arguments.

Domehead
    Last edited by Domehead; 21st February 14 at 12:52 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    It is also fact that there are very few flags raised. We have on average over 500 posts per month made here. In the same month we average one or sometimes two flags.
    The facts are that less than .004% of posts are flagged. And of those less than half actually get as far as a vote among the Moderators.....

Not to pick nits with the big dog on the porch, and going backwards a bit on the discussion I am still catching up on. But Steve, in post #44 your math here is incorrect and requires a small reality reassessment.

Using your quoted numbers, assuming 500 posts per month, and 2 flagged posts out of that 500 would be 2 per 500 (2/500) equals 1 per 250 (1/250) equals 0.4 %, not the mythical 0.004% stated (which would be the equivalent of 2 flags raised per 50,000 posts). Granted. 0.4% is still a small number, but not so miniscule as the original claim of 0.004% implies.

(picture of kilted man wearing kevlar jacket and helmet running for cover here)

We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too funny

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually 2/500 does indeed = .004

Try it on any calculator. Hit the number 2 key. Then hit the divide sign (÷) key. Then enter the number 500. Finally hit the equals key (=). The result will be .004.

If you would like you can think of it this way.
    If .5 is 1/2 then .4 is just less than 1/2.
    .5 of 500 is 250, .4 of 500 is 200.

And with that;

I would like to thank all those who contributed concrete suggestions on how to make X Marks a better place for all the members.

And as The OP I close this thread.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 22nd February 14 at 02:40 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567