X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problems in Ohio

Lads,

I have been approached because I wear a kilt, by the parent of a child that has been persecuted.

It seems that a local school district has a dress code that prohibits girls from wearing skirts that reveal higher that where the arm falls naturally to the side, so mid thigh. Boys, on the other hand are permitted to wear shorts, but after a certain point in the year. The school officials have not been enforcing the girls half of the dress code, but the boys were still not able to wear shorts. The boys, as a protest, wore kilts to school. Hey, I say whatever gets them into a kilt is a good thing. But they were, in fact, sent home for inappropriate dress.

I have issue with this on several levels. First, I hear again and again how America is the land of the free, but it seems only if you conform. Be an individual, but only with tattoo’s and miscellaneous piercings not with traditional dress. Be an individual and think outside the box, but stay close to the boxes perimeter.

Second, our schools are supposed to be places of learning, exploring and discovering, but yet free thinking, traditional minded people are oppressed and made to feel different.

Third, a government entity is suppressing the dress of an ethnic part of the United States that helped forge this country. Thanks for your help; put your pants on. A school in which a young man can wear pants sagging to expose underwear, but no kilt?

This is why I wear a kilt, because I can and I believe enlightenment can only be achieved by confronting people with new ideas.

I will be addressing this school board…. Kilted. Any other points you feel I should address, please help me out, I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Thanks and Slainte,

Tobie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Order and structure in any organization is important. This may, in some cases, impinge upon certain rights of an individual. Fine. However, the fair and equitable administration of order and structure is paramount. From the scenario you describe, certain inequities have given impetus to a protest of sorts. The school officials, rather than listening to the arguments of the parties involved, have chosen to exercise summary justice with no trial. The pragmatic maintenance of order and command structure has taken precedent over logic and fundamental rights and freedoms. In this case, <u>blatant</u> 1950s style chauvinistic attitudes have blossomed in classic form. So, what's the deal?
    1. Should there be a dress code in schools? - Probably yes.
    2. Should this dress code be based on gender identity? -If that's important, yes.
    3. Should that dress code be administered in an equitable manner? -Obviously, yes.
    4. Should female students be permitted to wear skirts in a respectable manner? -If that's important, yes.
    5. Should female students be permitted to wear the traditional attire of males, trousers? -OK.
    6. Should male students be permitted to wear trousers? -Obviously
    7. Should male students be permitted to wear the traditional male attire, kilts? - Absolutely!
    Anyone with an ounce of learning understands that a kilt in its traditional or modern form is menswear! Worn in a <u>respectable</u> manner, there is no logical argument on earth that should deny these youths from including this masculine form of clothing as part of their permitted attire. If they want to ban kilts for men, then ban pants for female students. It makes just about as much sense.

Nobody has yet said it better than Bear...
    Kilts are garments, not costumes!

IMHO,
    blu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tobie,

I agree whole heartedly with Blu. A kilt is not a bad thing!! I do wish you well with the school board, just remember to have everything thought out and keep calm while addressing the board. Stand with dignity and pride. You my kilted brother will do well.

Glen
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Problems in Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy
    The boys, as a protest, wore kilts to school. Hey, I say whatever gets them into a kilt is a good thing. But they were, in fact, sent home for inappropriate dress.
    Tobie,

Before you jump in, were these boys wearing kilts (either traditional or modern), or were they wearing girl's tartan kilted skirts? If they were wearing kilts, then I would say that they have a strong case, but if they were wearing girl's clothing, as a protest, then they are probably on much more shaky ground.

I hope they were wearing kilts, because if they win their case, some may decide they like kilts and continue to wear them to school. This could set a trend.

Rob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy
    The boys, as a protest, wore kilts to school. Hey, I say whatever gets them into a kilt is a good thing. But they were, in fact, sent home for inappropriate dress.

I hope they were wearing kilts, because if they win their case, some may decide they like kilts and continue to wear them to school. This could set a trend.

Rob
    But most people can't tell kilts from skirts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcmtnbka
    ...But most people can't tell kilts from skirts...
    This is where Tobie comes in and lays out the facts in plain english.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These were kilts. They were ordered for the purpose of making the point. I believe they were Sport Kilts, but the mother didn't know the brand for sure.

That was one of the first questions I asked, because I won't defend something I don't believe in myself.

I agree, I would not spend my time defending a male wearing a female garment. That arguement is beside the fact, they were kilts and I don't want to start that thread up.

Thanks for the replys. I still have to talk to the lads to be 100% certain they are kilts, otherwise I won't get involved.

Slainte,

Tobie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cry Havoc! And release the Dogs of Law!

Tell them you've contacted the ACLU about the matter, and will be looking into a lawsuit on the matter...

Doc Hudson is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KiltedHuntsman
    Cry Havoc! And release the Dogs of Law!

Tell them you've contacted the ACLU about the matter, and will be looking into a lawsuit on the matter...
    And be telling the truth when you say it!

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tobie,
    We're with you brother.
    Anything we can do, ask and it's done.
    Get in touch with the media. Make sure they are present when you address the school board. Talk to a local Scottish Heritage Society. Have them send a representative to address the school board in full dress attire. See if you can get a piper or a pipe band to show up.
    Give them so much publicity, they wouldn't dare tell a boy he can't wear his traditional clothes.
    Get some Sikhs in turbans to support you. Some Native Americans in their traditional garb.
    Hit 'em hard and don't let 'em up.
    I can send an e-mail to my mailing list as soon as you give me the word. Everyone else here will join in and alert the kilted. They'll get e-mails from all over the world demanding the boys get to wear their kilts. They'll get e-mails from Scottish, Irish, Welsh, from Celts all over the place.
    Give us the e-mail to the school board.
    Then give us the word.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast