X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After Event Report - Portland, OR

Last night, Tuesday February 25th, saw our first attendance at the monthly gathering at the Horse Brass Pub in Portland. This proved to be a fine model of a gathering for the kilted and non-kilted aficionados of that remarkable bit of clothing which changes the social dynamic wherever it is worn. The pub was welcoming, lively and loud enough to allow the regular patrons and the kilt crew to go about their business in a comfortable setting with the bonus of a great brew list at good prices per pint.

My wife and I had driven from the east side of the state for various business appointments in a coincidentally timed week which encompassed the date of this gathering. Knowing we would be able to attend I had set out my best kilt and jacket so as to be properly attired - a noble effort stymied when we were some miles from our destination and my wife said, “where are your clothes?” It was as though I had been struck with a 2x4. They were, I realized, still hanging by the closet some 270 or so miles behind us. I had carefully packed the accessories but neglected to grab the essential hangers. I did have a double length of Stewart Hunting tartan and in the intervening days tried to wrap, gather and belt a sort of “Great Kilt’. While entertaining and instructional I concluded that despite my penchant for bold kilting I should pass on the wearing of this “Braveheart” model in public.

Not knowing the timing of this event we had a meal and hit the road, easily finding the pub. Once inside we saw nary a kilt so we took a seat at the bar and ordered, settling into the place. After a bit a couple walked past us and the gent was definitely kilted. I called a “Halloo” to he and his wife, Amy. A brief salutation and we were joined by a kilted Hawk. Now five we shifted to a table to get acquainted and to allow the newcomers to order. As it developed, the scheduled time was about 7:30 pm and within a short period another couple arrived. The well dressed Gent introduced himself as Rick, I too was a Rick (Ryc) and deemed him the well-dressed Rick. His wife was a lovely lady and added to his striking display of casual kilting.

It became evident that the group was to continue to grow and more table space would be needed so we grabbed our jackets, drinks, and new friends and shifted to a a larger area, pushing tables together and settling in as introductions were made and seating sorted. David arrived resplendent and several others joined in as the evening developed. Being our first time I lost track of the names for which I apologise and ask forgiveness from those not properly identified. I trust they will post their names to correct the omissions.

The real story is the great diversity in ages, characters and backgrounds this event brought together in a convivial setting with a great time had by all. Naturally there was a commonality in our kilted experiences that showed how the public reacts to a gent in a kilt: 1. “The Question”, 2. The wide variety of responses available, 3. The curiosity that opens the way to conversations you would never otherwise have, and 4. the pleasure of knowing you are one of the best dressed in any gathering no matter how your kilt is accessorized, from t-shirt to Prince Charlie.

In short, this was a fun evening with lovely people and could serve as a model for any other kilted folks in other cities. A chance to trot out the tartan in good company, see and be seen, and feel a part of a vibrant segment of the human race.

Ryc, From the Highlands of Eastern Oregon

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RGRatSea For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some photos
    Shawnee / Anishinabe and Clan Colquhoun

Vancouver on the Mighty Columbia. That's in Washington State USA for the geographically challanged.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang it. We missed it!!
    Victoria

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And we all missed you Victoria and Capt Mac......

Hawk
    Shawnee / Anishinabe and Clan Colquhoun

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rated the evening a complete success. It would have been just that much better, tho, if my son had not had a last-minute obligation put on him that precluded his attendance. One very good thing that came out of the evening was that I learned that my kilt pin, which I thought was 100% loyal to me, decided to escape. Fortunately when it fell it struck my wife Karen's foot so I was able to reclaim it. As I am no longer able to trust it I think I will try the eraser trick and see how that goes.

I urge all in the area to consider joining our kilted night out. Good food, good company, and good conversation.
    Studies have shown that women who gain a few pounds live longer than men who mention it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great time we had! Looking forward to future kilt-nights and admiring Bob's next kilt-handiwork! Davey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @RGRatSea. You FORGOT your kilt for a kilt night???????

Take 5 extra duties as a punishment.

Your should be obliged to wear TWO kilts the next time!

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to BCAC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCAC View Post
    @RGRatSea. You FORGOT your kilt for a kilt night???????

Take 5 extra duties as a punishment.

Your should be obliged to wear TWO kilts the next time!
    Aye. Imagine, I the fervent wearer of kilt managed to walk out the door, leaving my kilt and jacket hanging in a travel bag on the hook by the closet. I had never used this particular bag before and my wife and I agreed the change in routine and the black bag conspired to transport the contents beyond my ken. Or maybe I'm just getting old and goofy. Either way, our next trip to Portland will be made a week early to allow participation in the next gathering and a shot at redemption as I appear in my Fraser Modern 16-oz.

Now as to wearing two, shall I layer them up, whipping the top one off halfway through the evening? Or just change whilst standing before the bar? The first case would be quite an expansion of my girth while the second might require extra pints to steel my resolve. Will you be there to observe? If not perhaps we can get together when our ship docks in Le Havre around the 14th or 15th of June and tip a pint. This will be our second visit to Le Havre so we do have some sense of the lay-out of the place. It would be a pleasure to see you.

Cheers - Ryc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RGRatSea View Post
    Aye. Imagine, I the fervent wearer of kilt managed to walk out the door, leaving my kilt and jacket hanging in a travel bag on the hook by the closet. I had never used this particular bag before and my wife and I agreed the change in routine and the black bag conspired to transport the contents beyond my ken. Or maybe I'm just getting old and goofy. Either way, our next trip to Portland will be made a week early to allow participation in the next gathering and a shot at redemption as I appear in my Fraser Modern 16-oz.

Now as to wearing two, shall I layer them up, whipping the top one off halfway through the evening? Or just change whilst standing before the bar? The first case would be quite an expansion of my girth while the second might require extra pints to steel my resolve. Will you be there to observe? If not perhaps we can get together when our ship docks in Le Havre around the 14th or 15th of June and tip a pint. This will be our second visit to Le Havre so we do have some sense of the lay-out of the place. It would be a pleasure to see you.

Cheers - Ryc
    I would have enjoyed either coming over to watch the Double kilt night, or tipping a few fresh ones back in Le Havre with you but, unfortunately I couldn't afford either trip (Le Havre is on the other side of the country from where I am).