X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker04 View Post
    I.ve done 23 and me. YDNA111. Geno 2, Scotlands DNA and Big Y. Big Y and Full Genomes are very advanced and not at all for beginners.. i would suggest you start with FTDNA YDNA 37 at least or 67 markers. Of Scottish heritage, I would suggest 67 markers for a start and join a name project. You will also get your male haplogroup which you need. I'm quite pleased with Scotlands DNA as they have a very large data base particularly of the UK and Ireland. I would advise Chromo 2 raw and join a haplotype project or Chromo 2 Complete if you want the story of your ancestry. Their geneticists are very reputable. YDNA tests STR's and SDNA tests snp's.

Lloyd
    I only have 23andme so you definitely have more testing than I do. Why would someone completely new to testing spend $248 dollars on 67 STRs when they could get Chromo2 (14,500 SNPs) with commentary for $309 or raw for $199?

Admittedly, FTDNA has a massive amount of STR project connections but SNPs are the future of testing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J Ross View Post

I'm with you Allen. Such wonderful responses.

I might be trading my Ross Modern Hunting for a Rose tartan!

I've contacted the administrator for the Ross DNA Project about this, but thought I'd post here too. Another member of the group who was previously tested names the same common ancestor as my family. This other individual is unknown to me. How possible is it to verify a common ancestor between us?

I was in the same situation. I would contacted the project administrator and asked him to send an email with your contact information to the other individual. Then you can compare paper research. DNA testing is not a substitute for paper research.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123