X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So I bought "TAoK"!

I have just placed an order for "the book" and am now jonesing while I wait for it to arrive.

Told my wife that it would be cheaper for me to make my own rather than order a bespoke kilt.....

Just like the time I learned I could brew my own beer 5 gallons at a time, I now have the capacity to brew 50 gallons at a time and have enough 5 gallon kegs to theoretically hold 200 gallons of carbonated beer (and I recently quit drinking!)

Oh and the time I bought an old safety razor "to save money on blades" I now have over 30 double edged safety razors, hundreds of blades and a dozen straight razors, brushes, soaps, etc.

I look forward to buying tartan to make my kilt, then a better sewing machine, loads of needles for hand sewing, buckles and straps, thread thread and more thread, then I suppose more tartan by the bolt in endless colors and shades.... [sigh] it never ends for me I guess....
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, the start of a true addiction!
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Barb T For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I look forward to buying tartan to make my kilt, then a better sewing machine, loads of needles for hand sewing, buckles and straps, thread thread and more thread, then I suppose more tartan by the bolt in endless colors and shades.... [sigh] it never ends for me I guess...."

Been there, doing that.... Made four kilts, working on the fifth, have ordered tartan for another two, and am seriously contemplating the tartans for at least the next two or three after those.

I blame Barb. If she hadn't written such a great resource and didn't make Kilt Kamp so much fun this never would have happened.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrainReaper View Post
    I have just placed an order for "the book" and am now jonesing while I wait for it to arrive.

Told my wife that it would be cheaper for me to make my own rather than order a bespoke kilt.....

Just like the time I learned I could brew my own beer 5 gallons at a time, I now have the capacity to brew 50 gallons at a time and have enough 5 gallon kegs to theoretically hold 200 gallons of carbonated beer (and I recently quit drinking!)

Oh and the time I bought an old safety razor "to save money on blades" I now have over 30 double edged safety razors, hundreds of blades and a dozen straight razors, brushes, soaps, etc.

I look forward to buying tartan to make my kilt, then a better sewing machine, loads of needles for hand sewing, buckles and straps, thread thread and more thread, then I suppose more tartan by the bolt in endless colors and shades.... [sigh] it never ends for me I guess....
    You can encourage the addiction by going to a Kilt Kamp.....there is an opening, I believe, in the August Kamp in Victoria!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb T View Post
    Ah, the start of a true addiction!
    next step: Kiltmaking addiction, a 12 step program
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jhockin For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm - that's assuming that there's a compelling reason for a cure!!!
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So I have some tartans on the short list, one of them is that fine fine County Cork that Bonny Heather posted a pic of in another thread... Dead sexy tartan!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The book has arrived! I also printed, hole punched, and bindered the box pleated instructions as well.

Looks like I'm going to be up late reading!!

And maybe now is a good time to learn how to sew! Meh, details like that I can work out as I read right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had sewn nothing more than a button when I ordered the book. First sewing project was an 8-yarder with 29+ pleats. Sink or swim, as they say. Just be patient and meticulous and you'll be fine!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh, I'm quite meticulous and extremely detail oriented.

My wife pokes fun at me because I have issues serving myself a fried egg for breakfast if when flipping it in the pan the white gets a wrinkle or a fold in it, less than perfect always bothers me if I'm the one doing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast