X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ran into several using google pronounce - one had the first r dead silent - Ah brOath
    slàinte mhath, Chuck
    Originally Posted by MeghanWalker,In answer to Goodgirlgoneplaids challenge:
    "My sporran is bigger and hairier than your sporran"
    Pants is only a present tense verb here. I once panted, but it's all cool now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cults is pronounced as you'd expect, and Peterculter is pronounced "Petercooter.

My favourites however are Finzean and Culzean. Neither are pronounced the way you'd expect, nor is the second syllable pronounced the same way in each.

Interestingly (or not), the reason for their odd pronounciation is related to the reason that the Gaelic "Mhic Coinneach" is pronounced so differently to the Scots/English "Mackenzie". It all involves a letter of the alphabet which is no longer used.

Phil is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The general rule with Scottish name pronunciation is that the emphasis is on the last syllable. So Arbroath is R- Broath with the emphasis on Broath. In America I was intrigued by the pronunciation of Inverness where the emphasis was on Inver whereas here it is on Ness. Similarly Carnegie where here it is pronounced car-nagy with the emphasis on nagy whereas in America it seems to be on Car and sounds more like carniggy.

Phil is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgacus View Post
    Cults is pronounced as you'd expect, and Peterculter is pronounced "Petercooter.

My favourites however are Finzean and Culzean. Neither are pronounced the way you'd expect, nor is the second syllable pronounced the same way in each.

Interestingly (or not), the reason for their odd pronounciation is related to the reason that the Gaelic "Mhic Coinneach" is pronounced so differently to the Scots/English "Mackenzie". It all involves a letter of the alphabet which is no longer used.
    You really need to go to Fife where Anstruther is pronounced Ainster, Buckhaven is Buckven, St Monans is St Minnans, and Kilconquhar is Kinnucker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I'd forgotten about those in my gradual drift north. I used to sail to all the lovely wee villages round the east neuk with my father when I was young, Crail and Ainster being favourites. I also spent four extremely happy years studying at St. Andrews.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgacus View Post
    It all involves a letter of the alphabet which is no longer used.
    Yogh.

The surname Mackenzie is of Scottish origin and derived from Gaelic. The name is an Anglicised form of the Gaelic Mac Coinnich, which is a patronymic form of the personal name Coinneach meaning "comely" or "handsome".

The Anglicised Mackenzie had originally been pronounced "Mackaingye" – with a modern English Y sound represented with the letter yogh ȝ. In the 18th century it became popular to write and pronounce the name with what is the equivalent of a modern English Z sound, because of the similarity of the letter yogh and letter Z. There are Lowland Scots words and Scottish names that have been affected in a similar way (example: the surname Menzies).

http://www.scottishhandwriting.com/cmLFyo.asp
    Tulach Ard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12