X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Historical Footwear Question

Rabble,

I do not wish to flog yet another dead horse on this list so would someone please point me to a previous discussion or external site that discusses historical, highland footwear and how to make/obtain some?

I would be eternally grateful and remain your obedient servant,

Hix
    "[Felicia Day] told me how she'd created this character who was the leader of a rival guild. 'He's a douche-bag in a kilt,' she said. That was pretty much all I needed to hear and I signed on immediately!" - Wil Wheaton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have some nice ghillie patterns on hand but a quick Google search revealed this.

Easily made with some deer hide and an awl. Hope this helps!

Displaced 3rd generation Californian now residing in the "old" State of Jefferson, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try Original Medieval Moccasins, a family run business, based in San Marcos, Texas. They've been making their style of shoe for three decades, now.

According to their website, "Variations of this shoe can be traced back to Celtic times and have been found in archeological sites all over Southern Europe. This style was commonly known as a "bog shoe" or "ghillie", a traditional Scottish folk dancing shoe."

http://www.medievalmoccasins.com/

My wife purchased a pair of their low top moccasins more than ten years ago. They wear like iron, and are quite comfortable (the shoe has a rosette of leather at the toe to allow for minor adjustments of the fit.) She also has a pair of their boots. She originally bought the moccasins to wear with her costume, but found them so comfortable, that she wears them with her jeans, as well.

Name:  Low top moccasins.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  9.5 KB Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Celtic Boots.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	16904

*Photos from Original Medieval Moccasins website.*
    Last edited by Highlander31; 18th February 14 at 01:07 AM.
    [I][B]Nearly all men can stand adversity. If you really want to test a man’s character,
    Give him power.[/B][/I] - [I]Abraham Lincoln[/I]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a site that sells what were worn in the day (close to historical accuracy, IMHO):

http://www.arrowmoc.com/pt.html

And, here is a site for the description:

http://www.appins.org/pampooties.htm

And, here is a pattern at Jas Townsend:

http://jas-townsend.com/moccasin-p-246.html

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jack Daw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW I made my own pair of "ghillie moccasins" that look very similar to the ones posted above (minus the calf hugging part!) using a pattern obtained off the interwebz. I put a shoe insert in the bottom for comfort, the leather I used (tanned cow) is holding up well without any added sole material, but I've only worn them to dirt surfaced ren fair type places. It is an easy home project provided you can get the leather, very rustic and surprisingly cool and comfortable I think the laces were the most expensive part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jason10mm View Post
    FWIW I made my own pair of "ghillie moccasins" that look very similar to the ones posted above ...
    Got pic's?!

Thanks,
    "[Felicia Day] told me how she'd created this character who was the leader of a rival guild. 'He's a douche-bag in a kilt,' she said. That was pretty much all I needed to hear and I signed on immediately!" - Wil Wheaton