X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABG0819 View Post
    I looked on the Tandy website and I'm not sure if I am ready to spend the amount on a full side
    For making a few sporrans you most definitely won't need a full side. Luckily Tandy sells many weights in "Shoulders" or sometimes even smaller sections. Expect to pay ~$30-40 for one in a decent 5-6oz weight.

HippieLee made an excellent suggestion in joining the club- seriously. Even if you think you don't "NEED" it, by the time you buy some needles, thread, leather, dyes, glue, and a few tools you're just about going to break even.

ith:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ring0 View Post
    8-10 is pretty heavy for a standard 'day' sporran, and bellies aren't usually the nicest cut of leather - the leather tends to be a bit less structured (because the skin on a cows belly stretches a lot over it's life- so you get some stretchiness to the leather) and you may have some
    less that ideal surfaces to work with (stretch marks).

But it's inexpensive practice material.

ith:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what would be the appropriate weight for a good sporran? As I said up front I am a total novice at any type of craft. So thankful to have my xmarks friends for advice.

Graham

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABG0819 View Post
    So what would be the appropriate weight for a good sporran? As I said up front I am a total novice at any type of craft. So thankful to have my xmarks friends for advice.

Graham
    A lot of it depends on the temper of the leather (how firm it is). On lots of traditional day sporrans what you see is ~3 layers of pigskin, maybe with a stiffener inserted between the layers. Newer sporrans
    are frequently a sandwich of cowhide (or on low-cost models "LEATHERBOARD") and a 'veneer' outer decorative layer of leather.

If you're making a single layer sporran without any lamination (glued up layers), 7-8oz in a firm leather is a safe bet. There are ways to stiffen up lighter weight leathers, but you probably don't want to get
    into that right away.

ith:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Graham, there's www.zackwhite.com in Ramseur, NC.

I've purchased a bag of both the earth tone scraps and upholstery scraps.

http://www.zackwhite.com/Leather-by-...und_c_406.html

Each contained enough for more than one sporran-sized project. You get what you get, but the price is good for practice projects.

ETA: If you go to the store I think you can dig through the scraps and pick what you want.
    Last edited by MacKenzie; 21st April 14 at 02:18 PM.
    Tulach Ard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't tried this yet but you might find large enough scraps from a local upholstery shop. I drive by one on my way to work that has a sign outside their door advertising scrap leather. I imagine it's going to be thin enough you might need to reinforce it. Might be worth a call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A full rabbit skin makes a fine sporran if you simply use the fur for the outward facing portion and use a sturdy but soft fabric for the inward facing portion. I did it a few days ago and it worked wonderfully

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to try Crazy Crow Trading Post, that's where I get my leather.
    hag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second Crazy Crow. Back in my Buckskinning days, I bought a LOT of stuff from them. I was at a Tandy store last month and was amazed at how expensive their stuff was, although, I will admit that it has been several years since I made a lot of crafts and bought from them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12