X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My soon to be registered arms

I have been playing around with a design for arms to be registered for some time now. I originally wanted to register the arms that I use for my primary living history portrayal, but most of the registries refuse to do so because they are considered the "assumed arms of a fictitious character". That being said, I have submitted the following differenced arms and they have been accepted. I have no images as of yet, but here is the blazon as submitted to the International Heraldic Registry:

Blazon of Arms (Shield)
    Gules. A bordure; a patriarchal cross Moline limbs transposed between three water carriers all Sable fimbriated Or.

Blazon of Crest
    On a wreath of colors Or and Gules; A patriarchal cross Moline Or, surmounted at the foot by a water carrier Sable.

Family Motto
    Sufficit gratia mea. (Latin: "My grace is sufficient.")

Blazon of Additional Achievement Components
    A compartment of stone battlements
    Supports: Two Gargoyles Proper
    Badge: A water carrier Sable under a Latin cross Or

Cadency System to be used
    Change of Crest

Design Rationale
    Red is a color to represent the blood of Christ and the courage to live a life of high ideals. The black is to represent solemnity. Gold is to represent the nobility of our co-heirship with Christ. The water carrier is representative of service threefold (To God, Family, and Neighbors). The cross is a mark of being sealed by God as being His. The crest and badge are symbolic of service under God. The supports represent God's defense of us against evil. The compartment is a reminder of the spiritual warfare we are a part of.

Any thoughts?
    Keep your rings charged, pleats in the back, and stay geeky!
    https://kiltedlantern.wixsite.com/kiltedlantern

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are an American and therefore can do what you like when it comes to heraldry. But be advised that in some parts of the world the use of supporters is seen as special favour from the Crown and is not available to the general public. They are certainly not available to foreigners.

To give you a taste of how people in the UK would view this - How would you feel if I hung the Medal of Honor from my shield?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truthfully, I don't think that I will display them often for the very reason you mentioned. I was quite surprised when they were approved. I was just seeing what the registry would allow as they didn't give much information on what they would and wouldn't register. I figured that there was only one way to find out what they would clear, and that was to include it on the form. If they wouldn't, then I would drop them. Since they were approved, I will likely only display them in my own home and omit them for any other uses. This is however, why one should never fill out forms at 3:00am when they've been up since 4:30am the previous day. It takes the "I should email them and ask" urge and turns it into a "What the heck; let's see what happens" urge.
    Keep your rings charged, pleats in the back, and stay geeky!
    https://kiltedlantern.wixsite.com/kiltedlantern

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Didymous View Post
    Truthfully, I don't think that I will display them often for the very reason you mentioned.
    I have said that you can do what you like, but this is exactly why most Americans receive no respect in the heraldic world. How often is often, because once in public would be an insult.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Didymous View Post
    I was quite surprised when they were approved.
    They will approve anything. The International Heraldic Registry is a joke organisation, run by someone who knows next to nothing about heraldry.

By the way, the blazon of your shield is wrong.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How interesting, creating your own arms, good on you for being granted the registration. even if, as pointed out above, the granting-org may possibly be a bit odd.

Some folks here are extraordinarily well-versed on the subject.
    Last edited by James Hood; 27th April 14 at 07:48 AM. Reason: addition of sentence