X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Livery coloured cockade on bonnet

So, I finally got around to adding my chief's livery colours to my bonnet. I already had some tartan sewn on there as a nod to my regimental tradition of doing the same, so I just left it there and put the livery colours over it. I know some think tartan on the bonnet is inappropriate for civilian dress, but old habits die hard.

Here it is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140415_092943.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	17802

Slainte!
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There you go Nathan, off down that theatrical road again!

Joking apart and on a just so you know basis, whilst it may be historically correct and well within the heraldric rules, it is something that is rarely done in Scotland and when you consider a bonnet being worn in Scotland is almost a rarity in itself, then livery colours worn behind the Clan badge is in the "hen's teeth" class. So perfectly correct, but it is one of those things that is just not done. What you and others decide to do is entirely your choice, of course.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 15th April 14 at 07:12 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked into it, prepared it, and abandoned it as too unusual. Having said that, it's pretty!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    There you go Nathan, off down that theatrical road again!

Joking apart and on a just so you know basis, whilst it may be historically correct and well within the heraldric rules, it is something that is rarely done in Scotland and when you consider a bonnet being worn in Scotland is almost a rarity in itself, then livery colours worn behind the Clan badge is in the "hen's teeth" class. So perfectly correct, but it is one of those things that is just not done. What you and others decide to do is entirely your choice, of course.
    Oh well... if we Cape Breton Highlanders stopped doing something just because it went out of style in Scotland we'd have no stepdancing, fiddle style, Gaelic...

;)

I also note that my chief doesn't wear a black cockade in his bonnet. It's either white or livery coloured, I'm waiting for a clearer photo. You could check it out for me if your run into him, Jock.
    Last edited by Nathan; 15th April 14 at 11:20 AM.
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well at least no one can accuse the Scots of sticking completely to the past! Sadly, there is a cost of loosing some of that past, but the future is where our "esteemed leader" wants us to look ---------apparently.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Oh well... if we Cape Breton Highlanders stopped doing something just because it went out of style in Scotland we'd have no stepdancing, fiddle style, Gaelic...

;)

I also note that my chief doesn't wear a black cockade in his bonnet. It's either white or livery coloured, I'm waiting for a clearer photo. You could check it out for me if your run into him, Jock.
    I do bump into him on rare occasion, so I will check it out. There is one wee snag though, he has not been wearing a bonnet!

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted this to another thread about the tartan, but there's obviously at least white on his cockade.

Name:	clan2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	17809

My bonnet was a military TOS so it had no cockade on it at all. I also have a lovat blue bonnet by Robert Mackey with a self coloured toorie and cockade for a more subdued look.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    I posted this to another thread about the tartan, but there's obviously at least white on his cockade.

Name:	clan2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	17809

My bonnet was a military TOS so it had no cockade on it at all. I also have a lovat blue bonnet by Robert Mackey with a self coloured toorie and cockade for a more subdued look.
    Subdued is the usual way to go.

I know your eyes are much younger than mine, but with the picture "blown up to 400X" I can see no white cockade. I can see the white of the eagle feather quill where it sticks into the bonnet though.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Subdued is the usual way to go.

I know your eyes are much younger than mine, but with the picture "blown up to 400X" I can see no white cockade. I can see the white of the eagle feather quill where it sticks into the bonnet though.
    The white I'm looking at is lower than that it appears to be a white St. Andrew's cross behind his circlet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done, Nathan! I had thought about doing the same, but have never really gotten around to it. I suppose it doesn't matter all that much to me. My Chief, Sir William Alan Macpherson of Cluny and Blairgowrie, TD, always has the black Hanoverian cockade on his (navy) Balmoral, despite his, as well as our collective (Macpherson) ancestry as staunch Jacobites and supporters of the Young Pretender during the '45.

Cluny sat as a High Court Judge in England for many years and is also a staunch Monarchist, so needless to say, I don't think he has ever been too concerned about wearing a white cockade in his bonnet whilst wearing Highland Dress. There are indeed several Macpherson clansmen that I know who do wear a white cockade, or a cockade in Azure and Or, the livery colours of our Chief (see below).

John Charles Macpherson wearing a white cockade and Ruaridh Clark wearing a cockade in the livery colours of Macpherson of Cluny.
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 15th April 14 at 11:54 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast