X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Band spec" weight tartan?

Nick,

In another thread Jock Scot mentioned that Dalgleish can provide an 18oz. tartan fabric woven to order. Can you tell us more about this option? Is the same selection of yarn colors available? Is it available in double-width? Does it have the same finish and hand as the 15oz.?

Thanks,

David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi David,

I'm not certain what Jock has in mind. But I'm sorry to say we don't do this weight as one of our standard ranges. And no, it's not the same as the 15oz even when done as a special (in double width, with a minimum of 15m IIRC). Without getting too technical, we can't even use the same yarn type, but would have to use another yarn that ends up with a less smooth more wooly feel, that frankly doesn't pleat as well. And this is available by default only in a much smaller range of shades, unless you want to go to the considerable extra expense of special dying.

The reason the DC Dalgliesh heavy weight fabric is so renowned for traditional kilt making is that it's been developed over many years experience as what we consider the optimal balance for this specific use for MOST kilt wearers, whilst other mills have tended we feel to compromise a bit more on things like density and touch to make their equivalents more suitable for multiple uses such as furnishings too.

Sorry not to be more helpful. But hope this explains a little where we're coming from. I know there's of course a demand for these heavier Regimental fabrics, particularly as they can be especially hard-wearing. And we'd be happy to discuss producing one as a special for you, if that's what you need. Please just get in touch with the customer service team if you'd like to explore this further.

Best wishes

Nick

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Nick,

Just to be clear, we the membership, were having a general discussion about your tartans and I am afraid I cannot remember in what context exactly. Anyway, during the course of the conversation I asked if my special weave------I am delighted with it by the way-----could have been woven in the 18 oz cloth and you replied in the affirmative. As it was by then, a purely accademic question for me, I had no need to continue the conversation and as far as I recall, that was the end of that particular bit of the conversation and we did not discuss any detail whatsoever.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 18th April 14 at 03:39 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.