X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mel1721L is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regimental Blazers

This is a British thing, I think. I wear a regimental blazer in the cooler weather here, but with grey trousers. The blazer doesn't really go with a kilt as the cut is wrong. I just wondered if there is a kilt equivalent? Pictures I've seen of Scots veterans show them wearing blazers with trews, so I imagine there isn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1721L View Post
    This is a British thing, I think. I wear a regimental blazer in the cooler weather here, but with grey trousers. The blazer doesn't really go with a kilt as the cut is wrong. I just wondered if there is a kilt equivalent? Pictures I've seen of Scots veterans show them wearing blazers with trews, so I imagine there isn't.
    Well, I suppose that you could always get one tailored, if you could find a good tailor to do it, but honestly I think that it's not only the cut that's wrong and that even tailored the 'look' would be wrong also. Just my opinion though. You won't know until you've either tried yourself or seen someone who has one that has been tailored.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to BCAC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the WW II veterans in my Regiment have worn a cutaway blue blazer with Regimental crest, trews and Glengarrian. Something they likely picked up while in the UK and brought back to Canada. As the number of veterans dwindles, so, too has this dress style. I have not seen anyone in blue blazer and kilt at any unit function but the ubiquitous blue blazer, grey flannels and tartan tie seems to be popular for those not opting for trews. Kilted folk tend to wear tweed, argyle or PC jackets. The "patrol" jacket is also quite sharp; without rank or accoutrements it might be a suitable alternative. I personally think a plain patrol jacket with kilt is very dressy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCAC View Post
    Well, I suppose that you could always get one tailored, if you could find a good tailor to do it, but honestly I think that it's not only the cut that's wrong and that even tailored the 'look' would be wrong also. Just my opinion though. You won't know until you've either tried yourself or seen someone who has one that has been tailored.
    You are right I think, even tailored it would not look right. I will have to accept there are certain times it'll just have to be trousers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dileasgubas View Post
    Some of the WW II veterans in my Regiment have worn a cutaway blue blazer with Regimental crest, trews and Glengarrian. Something they likely picked up while in the UK and brought back to Canada. As the number of veterans dwindles, so, too has this dress style. I have not seen anyone in blue blazer and kilt at any unit function but the ubiquitous blue blazer, grey flannels and tartan tie seems to be popular for those not opting for trews. Kilted folk tend to wear tweed, argyle or PC jackets. The "patrol" jacket is also quite sharp; without rank or accoutrements it might be a suitable alternative. I personally think a plain patrol jacket with kilt is very dressy.
    Thinking more about it, my Regiment was an English one, so probably a cilt wouldn't really be appropriate. WW11 veterans are sadly dwindling but equally sad is the number of conflicts that politicians have inflicted on the world since then. Regimental blazers though, do seem to be dying out.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mel1721L For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the best compromise if you want to wear the cilt would be a regimental tie, you can wear it with the blazer and trousers if you wish or can pair it with the cilt and an Argyll jacket.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I think the best compromise if you want to wear the cilt would be a regimental tie, you can wear it with the blazer and trousers if you wish or can pair it with the cilt and an Argyll jacket.
    I agree, Glen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Royal Air Force tartan kilt, RAF tie, blue waistcoat and dark navy blue tweed Argyle -

Last edited by Chas; 23rd April 14 at 08:54 AM. Reason: More info

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Chas For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    No, I think I'll keep the two styles seperate and not mix anything military with the cilt, other than the odd t-shirt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mel.. as you may have already picked up, we colonials here in Canada also wear the regimental blazer and grey flannels. I don't wear my branch blazer much, but always dust it off for Remembrance Day (and bring up the polish on my parade shoes). And as Glen mentioned, I have worn my branch tie with my kilt.

Chas, thanks for the picture, good to see you. Also, thank you for clarifying in my own mind the RAF tartan. I'm afraid, in a somewhat egocentric manner, I assumed that the RAF tartan would be the same as the RCAF tartan. Clearly, it is not.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast