X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We can gladly do a custom run of the State Seal of Alabama tartan in wool if enough people are interested. Price would be roughly the same as our normal kilts ($320 for a 5 Yarder or $495 for a Premier).

Just to clarify, here's the tartan on the STA's site:

And here's the state seal itself:

So far, these are the people who have shown an interest:

TomFromBama
    Riverkilt (?)
    KevinKeith

If you ARE interested, please email me ( rocky@usakilts.com ) with your details and I'll gladly start a list. If you're interested in any OTHER state, email me about that as well. I'll need to know what TYPE of kilt (5 Yarder at $320 or Premier 8 Yard at $495), so I can get a cloth yardage count.
    Last edited by RockyR; 14th May 14 at 03:59 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep me posted. No interest in the University of Alabama tartan (War Eagle!!) will consider whichever variation of the Alabama State tartan is targeted...

Seems like there should be a lot more involved in this project....
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Harold Cannon is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may be interested depending on the price per yard. I would just want material though.
    Clan MacMillan Convener for the Great State of Alabama...Secretary, Tennessee Valley Scottish Society...Knight of the Confraternity of the Order of the Most Holy Trinity
    Chaplain/Commander of the Hospitaller Order of St. Lazarus of Jerusalem...Facebook Page Administrator/Member of the Noble Society of Celts...Baron Serjeant of Rathdown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromBama View Post

Duke, I had seen that one as well. Its a fine looking tartan too, but I'll admit to some prejudice here - if I'm not getting a tartan linked to my ancestors, I'm probably going to stay pretty far away from Blue! LOL!... Local joke, but I'm an Alabama grad, and blue is associated with several of our sports rivals. ;-)
    I get it. I'm an Army retiree living in Annapolis!
    "Don't give up what you want most for what you want now."
    Just my 2¢ worth.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Cannon View Post
    I may be interested depending on the price per yard. I would just want material though.
    It would be $79.99 / Yard (13 oz).

Harold Cannon is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch! I'm out. Thats a significant increase as to what I paid for the last 13oz but I understand the reason for the price.
    Clan MacMillan Convener for the Great State of Alabama...Secretary, Tennessee Valley Scottish Society...Knight of the Confraternity of the Order of the Most Holy Trinity
    Chaplain/Commander of the Hospitaller Order of St. Lazarus of Jerusalem...Facebook Page Administrator/Member of the Noble Society of Celts...Baron Serjeant of Rathdown

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Cannon View Post
    Ouch! I'm out. Thats a significant increase as to what I paid for the last 13oz but I understand the reason for the price.
    $80 / yard is about average retail on cloth... much less one thats a small run of a custom weave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand the reason.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ScotWeb have a few of the more obscure tartans. They have London (1988), Callaghan and Maryland, none of which I can find anywhere else. If they stock Maryland, then why not Alabama? If there are several Alabama setts, they probably only stock one. There is another London sett, but they only have the one I mention, and AFAIK no-one stocks the other one.

They charge 300-400+ pounds [ETA: Not dollars] for a 'casual' kilt, though, and twice as much for a 'balmoral' kilt (of twice the yardage), but they are wool. They are also now co-owned with Dalgleish, who will weave pretty much any tartan, for a price.

My dilemma is that basically even one kilt at those prices would be an extravagance. I suppose if I had to choose between them, it would have to be the eponymous Callaghan, as I own half a dozen kilts, but not one in that tartan, on account of the cost.
    Last edited by O'Callaghan; 15th May 14 at 10:12 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Callaghan View Post
    ScotWeb have a few of the more obscure tartans. They have London (1988), Callaghan and Maryland, none of which I can find anywhere else. ...They are also now co-owned with Dalgleish, who will weave pretty much any tartan, for a price.
    A note of caution. Just because Scotweb (or indeed Dalgleish) are listing something does not mean it is in stock. In addition Scotweb are getting tartan woven from a large number of different sources, and as I understand it not that much directly from D C Dalgleish. So you are likely to be in the realm of a special weave price anyway.

I was also surprised to discover that there is also no linkage in thread colours between Scotweb and Dalgleish - so no way of confirming exact colours of a weave or requesting them from Scotweb, or so it seems.

I'm afraid that Rocky's $80 per metre price seems perfectly reasonable to me, even in the UK without the shipping costs.
    Best wishes - Harvey.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast