X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamrie is also known as Gardenstown, and is only 15 miles from Fraserburgh. It's a pretty little fishing village on the north east coast.

I'm no expert but I believe a lot of highlanders moved to the lowlands and also into the fishing industry during the 19th century as a result of the clearances and the industrial revolution. Many of those cleared were forced to move to the coast and take up fishing as an alternative to working their old lands. Once in the fishing industry they were particularly mobile and I'm guessing many relocated around Scotland and further afield as a result.

I know none of this helps you trace exactly where your ancestors originated from, I'm just suggesting how a highlander might have ended up working in a coastal Aberdeenshire village.

Good luck with your search!

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Calgacus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCorquodale View Post
    Well, that is all fine and I'm open to the possibility, but I'd still like to see some hard proof why we should throw Mr. Smith's research out the window first.

Something better than anecdotal accounts of "first hand knowledge" and my father called it "tartans for everyone."

Perhaps Peter could fill us in on something a bit more in the way of evidence that Mr. Smith's research is bunk.

Using phone records doesn't strike me as any less valid than any other type of record as a research tool. I mean, are census records also not to be used to try to trace back?

I highly doubt that someone as well known and with such acclaim and awards as well as degrees is such a sloppy historian as to just see who lives there now to proclaim who belongs to a clan. That dog just doesn't hunt.

Sorry if I'm ruffling feathers here but it just doesn't make sense.
    Without going through TFM that's difficult but we've been here before - see post #6 and others http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...ability-66309/
    Last edited by figheadair; 13th May 14 at 10:20 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Without going through TFM that's difficult but we've been here before - see post #6 and other http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...ability-66309/
    Thanks for the link to this useful thread.
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ASinclair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, after much digging on Scotland's people and other sites, I have McClive in Ayr going all the way back to 1704 with a Margaret, born of a George McClive and a Jean Kennedy that seems to trace to my grandfather, interestingly one day after my birthday on February 10. There are also many McClive's in the area afterwards.

Since Stewart of Appin is also located in the same area it becomes obvious that the research that places McClive(MacClive) with Stewart of Appin is not based on modern phone books or censuses.

Is it possible that the clan's records are incorrect?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCorquodale View Post
    Well, after much digging on Scotland's people and other sites, I have McClive in Ayr going all the way back to 1704 with a Margaret, born of a George McClive and a Jean Kennedy that seems to trace to my grandfather, interestingly one day after my birthday on February 10. There are also many McClive's in the area afterwards.

Since Stewart of Appin is also located in the same area it becomes obvious that the research that places McClive(MacClive) with Stewart of Appin is not based on modern phone books or censuses.

Is it possible that the clan's records are incorrect?
    Ayr is also Cunningham territory.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to BCAC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nathan;1233009]

Both Clan Stewart of Appin and Clan MacClay/Livingston have DNA projects. It might be worth taking a swab and seeing if there are any hits.
    Hey Nathan, can I ask where to find the Stewart of Appin dna project? I found this but unsure if it's the right place, http://www.myheritage.com/dna-surname-project/Stewart

My family has always maintained that we're Stewart's of Appin since my great uncle delved down the family tree, but, this would be interesting just to see.
    Quihidder Wil Zie

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundonian.on.Islay View Post
    Hey Nathan, can I ask where to find the Stewart of Appin dna project? I found this but unsure if it's the right place, http://www.myheritage.com/dna-surname-project/Stewart

My family has always maintained that we're Stewart's of Appin since my great uncle delved down the family tree, but, this would be interesting just to see.
    or this...
    https://www.familytreedna.com/public...ection=results
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567