X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using the search function

OK, this has been bugging me for a while. Maybe there's a secret to this that I haven't been able to figure out.

Why is it that if I use the search function (even the 'advanced' search), and try to search for a keyword by a particular user, it only displays results for threads that they started? Supposedly it will search posts, and not just titles, but it won't give me results for posts unless they were in a thread started by that user.

Let's say I want to search for an old post of mine where I was discussing the Texas bluebonnet tartan. I remember that thread, and I know I posted replies that included the word "bluebonnet". But when I do an advanced search for the word "bluebonnet", with my name as the username, it gives me zero results. If I do a search using the keyword "Texas" with my name as the username, it gives me a list of threads where I posted the word "Texas", but limits the results only to threads that I started. Not threads where I simply replied to someone else.

What's the secret to finding a keyword in a thread where I replied, but didn't start the thread? I've never seen a search feature that was this limiting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I typically find it more helpful to search google with "site:xmarksthescot.com" (sans-quotes) rather than use the forum search (for most any forum). There are times when it doesn't help, but usually I find what I want more quickly with that method

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could see that being helpful if I were just searching for a keyword. But trying to find a keyword posted by a specific user? You can't do that from outside the forum, can you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, but for your example I would do "bluebonnet tobus site:xmarksthescot.com"

It won't do exactly what you're looking for, but would give all threads that include bluebonnet and your username. This will obviously turn up more than what you're looking for, but also more than the zero you're currently getting

Obviously not the solution you're seeking, but perhaps a manageable workaround in the meantime.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That did the trick, thanks!

I'd still like to know how to do it using the forum's own software, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasem View Post
    I typically find it more helpful to search google with "site:xmarksthescot.com" (sans-quotes) rather than use the forum search (for most any forum). There are times when it doesn't help, but usually I find what I want more quickly with that method
    Thanks for the tip. That will come in handy. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to mookien For This Useful Post: