X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calling All keen X Markers

Hello Folks,

I have only just found this part of the site and it looks like some fantastic events are held the world over. I am UK based (Cheshire/Merseyside area) and I think it would be a wonderful idea to host an annual xmark the scot "Ghillies Ball" It is just a thought that I had but here are my thoughts;-

1. An event held in the middle of the country somewhere in a hall or hotel?

2. Dinner with a Scottish theme and dance?

3. All markers and their friends’ families and associates welcome.

4. As much tartan on show as possible

5. Dress code, this is a tricky one. If it is an x mark event then I suppose strictly speaking it should be an event that celebrates the kilt in all of its glorious forms. I am a formal man myself (preferred styles ranging from the usual and "traditional" daywear tweed jacket and waistcoat etc to the Argyll or Prince Charlie evening wear) but if we are celebrating xmarks and all its inhabitants would we look at welcoming all kilted and tartaned guests. I would normally say Black tie or Highland Dress equivalent but how would you suggest we pitch the event? We could say that the dress code is kilt and tartan(a kind of come as you are/wish dress code) however for those coming un kilted or un trewed does that mean that they can wear flip flops and shorts?;-( I would be interested on your thoughts. It would be nice if the xmarkers all wore the dandelion?!

6. The dance would obviously include pipers and drummers but I was also thinking of a Ceilidh of sorts afterwards. However I wouldn’t want the Ceilidh to put those of us who are less clued up on highland and or Scottish Country Dancing off. So the band could play one or two traditional songs but also some good drinking/singing songs (I am thinking loosely along the lines of whiskey in the jar, black velvet band, flower of Scotland etcetera) and some foot tapping songs. If you have seen the group "Gaelic Storm" in the film Titanic, I am thinking that kind of music? (All of these are just loose ideas and suggestions)

7. Ticket prices enough to include your meal and wine for the table if possible, and to cover any expenses (entertainment, room hire etcetera). So that the evening would not cost the organisers anything to host.

8. All held in aid of a yearly charity?

What do the rabble and the powers that be at X marks think. I would certainly love to hold an event like this, if there are enough likeminded people, what would stop us from doing it?

I look forward to hearing your comments.

Kind regards

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea is good in principle, but we are widely scattered.
    There are usually gatherings of xmarkers at the Harpenden Gathering and the Ashbourne Games in July of each year and with the distances involved, some of us need an overnight stay. Perhaps a Saturday evening ball either in Harpenden or Ashbourne on the eve of the Sunday games would work.
    Although Ashbourne is geographically nearer, my personal preference would be Harpenden which is much easier to get to from Scotland, Ireland or elsewhere in Europe as it is only a five minute train ride from London's Luton Airport. I have been to five of the past seven Harpenden gatherings, but this year is out as there are so many clan events and meetings with overseas xmarkers already arranged here in Scotland with this being a Homecoming Year. Something to think about for July 2015 perhaps.
    In fairness I don't think ticket prices should include wine for the table as some of us no longer drink alcohol. Being expected to subsidise other people's alcohol consumption would give me good reason not to participate.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to cessna152towser For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello again Cessna,

I would certainly be interested in attending one year. Do you have any pictures or videos? I completely agree with the alcohol comment. What kind of outfits do you normally get in attendance?

Kind regards

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-2013-a-80163/
    Here's a link to some photos from last year's Sunday gathering at Harpenden.
    Last year my wife and I arrived in Harpenden around lunchtime on the Saturday so would have been willing to join others for an evening meal if something had been arranged.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds wonderful. I likely can't make it but it seems to me that points 7 and 8 are somewhat contradictory. 7 seems to suggest a break even budget and low ticket price, but if that's the case, from where will the money for the charity come? Our St. Andrew's Society events are quite pricey because the after expenses money goes to charity.

To answer my own question...I might suggest the following:

A 50/50 draw if it's legal without a lottery license in your jurisdiction.
    A silent auction of donated items with proceeds to the charity.
    A donation envelope on each table.

Just a few thoughts.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might be a bit short on "bodycount" if you restrict it to XMarkers. I mean there are not that many XMarkers in the UK and they won't all be available (or even want) to support your shindig, so open it up to any one who wants to come.

The worst part is the organisation. Once you've got that cracked (dates/location/contents/price) then you should be good to go.
    Last edited by BCAC; 5th June 14 at 06:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazbot View Post
    Hello again Cessna,

I would certainly be interested in attending one year. Do you have any pictures or videos? I completely agree with the alcohol comment. What kind of outfits do you normally get in attendance?

Kind regards
    Here's a link for Harpenden. http://www.harpenden-lions.co.uk/highland-gathering

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to BCAC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    However, the middle of the country is not Harpenden chaps. It's not even the middle of England let alone the UK. On the other hand we could move it round the UK.

If it includes a celiedh, I would suggest keeping the dress code informal. If it's a dinner dance, make it black tie.

Supporting a charity sounds like a good idea, perhaps asking people to donate kilt-related items to a charity auction.

I would support this if I am available.
    It's coming yet for a' that,
    That Man to Man, the world o'er,
    Shall brothers be for a' that. - RB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moderator note:- Threads merged.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    However, the middle of the country is not Harpenden chaps. It's not even the middle of England let alone the UK.
    EnglishBloke organised a kilt night in his home town of Preston, Lancashire a few years ago which was very enjoyable but unfortunately only four of us were able to attend.
    I only suggested Harpenden because of its good transport links and because quite a few xmarkers already go there annually for the Harpenden gathering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast