X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile U.S. Army Sterling Silver Pin

Today I received here in the Highlands of Guatemala a Celtic Croft U.S. Army Pin in sterling silver. I am most pleased with the appearance, workmanship and quality of the pin.

In size it is approximately 1 7/8 inch (4.76 centimeters) in width and 2 1/4 inch (5.7 centimeters) in height. On the back there is a horizontal pin with which to attach it to clothing. I do not have an adequate scale, but would guess that it weighs slightly less than an American silver dollar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Celtic Croft U.S.Army Pin-Front.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	19507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Celtic Croft U.S. Army Pin-Rear.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	19508

As I stated above, I am very happy with the pin and, while I do not have a cap upon which to attach it, I believe that it will find use as a kilt pin. Meanwhile it is in a shadow box along with my miniature aircrewman wings and miniature medals awaiting an opportunity to wear at a formal event - perhaps at next year's Army Ball at the U.S. Embassy in Guatemala City. Just a jest. Everyone knows that the Army has no balls.

Finally, I want to add my extreme pleasure in my dealings with Celtic Croft. They were very patient with me and always answered my questions in rapid time. Celtic Croft has also kindly given me permission to use their photo as my avatar.

http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/us-armed-forces/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy to hear you like the pin. I've been waiting for them to release it in pewter since the price of the silver is a bit dear.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tomak For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that, that when the pins become available in pewter, they will sell quickly. But the Celtic Croft website states ....

"These badges are available NOW to order in sterling silver. Pewter will be available eventually, but probably several months away at this point."

Hopefully it will not be too many months, as I think that there are U.S. Army veterans who will be very interested in acquiring one. And, Celtic Croft offers the option of donating 10% of the price to a worthy cause, in my case the Wounded Warrior Project.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jim Simmons For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Simmons View Post
    And, Celtic Croft offers the option of donating 10% of the price to a worthy cause, in my case the Wounded Warrior Project.
    That's something of an extra added bonus I would gladly support. Guess I have to wait until the USN badges are available...
    The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
    "With Your Shield or On It!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WBHenry View Post
    That's something of an extra added bonus I would gladly support. Guess I have to wait until the USN badges are available...
    I think that the pins for all the Services - USN, USAF, USMC and USCG - are also beauties. Hopefully Celtic Croft will take notice of the interest and hurry up on production.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the other branches are in the works.
    When I last spoke to the owner, he was altering the artwork for the USCG to be compliant with their current standards.
    Commissioner of Clan Strachan, Central United States.

Mel1721L is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pity they don't do British Armed Forces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedgunner View Post
    I know the other branches are in the works.
    When I last spoke to the owner, he was altering the artwork for the USCG to be compliant with their current standards.
    I think the current version of the USCG badge is a particularly good looking piece. I once considered joining the Coast Guard. They have a very long history of Service, beginning as the Revenue Marine/U.S. Revenue Cutter Service in August 1790 - Happy 224th !!. But my uncle Samuel thought that the U.S. Army was the place for me.
    Last edited by Jim Simmons; 1st September 14 at 07:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is gorgeous. I wish they made a base metal version for those of us who can't quite see our way to paying for a sterling cap device.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to BadenochWolf For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, just curious, but have you worn formal highland wear to a military "dining out"? I am a retired US Army Infantryman who maintains a dress uniform for such occasions; however, I am tempted to dust off my Prince Charlie adorned with mini medals and my Order of Saint Maurice with my Ancient Henderson if invited. What say you?
    Mark Anthony Henderson
    Virtus et Victoria - Virtue and Victory
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacEanruig For This Useful Post: